7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 2:39 PM by ansarias

Remote Repositories

Juan Pablo Salgado

Hello Folks,

We have 2 location one in Costa Rica and another one in Boise

I want to put one repository in each location so that computers can update to a more local source.

Anyone know if Mcafee does this, and what they call it so that I can find some information on it?

I am using epo orchestrator 5.1.0

• 1. Re: Remote Repositories
          Amjad Al Rimawi

Hi Juan,

You can select 1 server on each location to act as Agent handler, which will let all devices take an update and policies from the handler,

1- Open the folder where you extracted the contents of the ePolicy Orchestrator software installation

package.

2- Copy the Agent Handler folder to the intended Agent Handler server system.

3-  Double‑click Setup.exe to launch the McAfee Agent Handler InstallShield wizard. After some

installation activities take place in the background, the InstallShield wizard opens. Click Next to

begin the installation process.

4- After accepting the terms in the license agreement, the Destination Folder step opens.

5 Accept the default destination, or click Change to select a different destination, then click Next.

• 2. Re: Remote Repositories
            Peter M

Moved this provisionally into ePO as a better spot for it. 

Peter

• 3. Re: Remote Repositories
              llamamecomoquieras

Just to add,

Then you need to modify the MA policy to choose wich repository will be using.

Regards,

José María

• 4. Re: Remote Repositories
                rackroyd

Hi,

Please be *very* careful with the difference between an Agent Handler and a Distributed Repository. They really are not the same.

The primary difference is an Agent Handler requires a very good, fast and stable connection to the Sql Server that hosts the ePO database - it is not designed for use in remote locations where connectivity may be slower.

Agent handlers do cache update content, but they also process policies and tasks. Agent handlers are almost mini-ePO servers. if all you want is to keep these machines up to date an Agent Handler is probably overkill.

A distributed repository may becloser to your needs. It serves update content for your clients and can be hosted on UNC, FTP, HTTP or via a SuperAgent in the local network.

Distributed Repository content is replicated by a server task from the ePO server.

You may also wish to look up 'Lazy Cache' and/or 'Agent Relays'. These methods can also be applicable in remote locations with small numbers of users.

• 5. Re: Remote Repositories
                  ansarias

Hello,

I'll suggest to make 2 super Agent repository on each site by creating new policy in McAfee Agent (General) policy where select check box to make agent as Super Agent and give path for share folder (Best prefer C:\SuperAgent\AVRepository).

Now go to McAfee Agent policy > Repository tab and where you can define Costa Rica and Boise repository to give update by creating 2 separate policies.

• 6. Re: Remote Repositories
                    Juan Pablo Salgado

Hi
                    Yes I'm trying to use the Distributed Repository with a UNC path. How can I configure systems to recognize the correct location (repository) to pull from (US or CR) so that the data isn't being pulled across the WAN

• 7. Re: Remote Repositories
                      ansarias

Hello,

You can define it under McAfee Agent repository policy. Create 2 separate policy for US and CR. and under this policy setting : Select repository by 1) Ping time 2) Subnet distance 3) Use order in repository list. You can define as per your choice. I'll prefer to go Ping time where each machine will ping all repositories and which is nearest it will take DAT update.

Or you can go with order in repository list where for US machines make US repository on top, disable CR repository, Enable ePO one (start with ePO_server name) and at last will be Fallback.

Assign these policy to your system tree group.