2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2014 9:01 AM by compte.obs1 RSS

NSM - 8.1 - GUI compatibility with Linux / Compatibilité avec Linux (Java)

Hello all,

I'm using Network Security Manager of McAfee in order to manage sensors.

Unfortunately I cannot use Windows to do it and I need to use it (GUI) under Debian (Linux OS).

Is it possible to do it without any problem ? In fact some pages of the interfaces are well displayed but some others are not due to java problems.

For example 2 problems which appear :

For the first one wen I click on "Start the Real-Time Threat Analyser" I can download a JNLP file which can be open with Icedtea or Sun JAVA but it is not working well at all (the best that I can get is to launch the program without data on it and with a very slow behavior).

For the second one when I click on "IPS Policies" I cannot display the page because of a plugin missing but I tried to install several Java versions and the problem is still the same.

--> So could you tell me if it is possible to use NSM GUI with Linux (Debian) and Java and if yes how can I configure it to use the interface at 100% and with no graphical problems or others errors ?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: NSM - 8.1 - GUI compatibility with Linux / Compatibilité avec Linux (Java)

Hello Jim, and welcome to the community!

I am reading through documentation, and as for Network Security Manager clients, it specifies the following recommendations:

Note: For the Manager client, in addition to Windows 7 and Windows 8, you can also use the operating

systems mentioned for the Manager server (Windows Server 2008R2 and several 2012 editions).

Unfortunately, using Linux as a client is not supported, which would explain some of the issues you are experiencing.

However, I’ve found a way to get it working with Debian:

check your current java version with:

java -version

Ensure that you're running Oracle Java 1.7 or higher for maximum compatibility.

If your version turns out to be 1.6 or lower, please install 1.7. To do this, I used the following commands (your results may vary):

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
          echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
          apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
          apt-get update
          apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

Ensure that Java 7 is your default version:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

And there you have it! Restart IceWeasel and browse to your NSM - on my test machine everything appeared to be fully-functional.

As for the threat analyzers - they work as well as long as you start them with Oracle Java 7 Webstart - though I can't promise that they won't be buggy.

If that doesn't work for you, my recommendation is to switch to a supported operating system and browser, and give this another shot. If you cannot switch from Debian Linux, perhaps install a Windows virtual machine for the purpose of accessing the NSM?

Thanks very much,

Jesse Olson
          Technical Support Engineer
          McAfee. Part of Intel Security.

• 2. Re: NSM - 8.1 - GUI compatibility with Linux / Compatibilité avec Linux (Java)

Hello Jesse,

Thank you for you feedback. I didn't try the oracle-java7-installer package in my debian.

However, I ended up to use a windows virtual machine to avoid any compatibility problems.