1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 4:31 AM by llamamecomoquieras

Tasks invoke, but never run

john.ruiz

Good Afternoon,

Maybe someone can offer some input or feedback on a particular problem I'm having.

I'm trying to deploy a module (VirusScan in this case) to a single server running Win2k8R2. I named the task 'Deploy VirusScan', I scheduled it to 'Run Immediately' and woke up the agent on that Server.

On that server I can see in the McAfee Agent Status Monitor that the task to deploy VirusScan is invoked: "Scheduler: Invoking Task [Deploy VirusScan]". However, the normal installation process and status updates never appear in the monitor (i.e. Downloading pkgcatalog.z, Task Deploy VirusScan successfully finished).

Upon viewing the Agent.log, I see the entry:

'Failed to invoke the task Deploy VirusScan, due to unable to copy task ini file to temp file'

Normally, i can see the task ini files populate the Task folder under C:\Program Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Task....but they never appear here. I've checked the permissions on this folder and they are the same as other servers which do have the ability to run tasks.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
          Laszlo G

Hi john.ruiz, what McAfee Agent version are you using on ths server?

• 2. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
            ansarias

Navigate McAfee Logs folder under temp directory where you will find exact error codes for VSE installation issue.

• 3. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
              john.ruiz

Thanks Laszlo...the server is running McAfee Agent 4.8.0.887.

Regards

John

• 4. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
                john.ruiz

THanks Ansarias,

I can see the 'VSEInst' log in the temp directory....but upon inspection of the log I don't really see anything that would indicate what the problem is.

Regards

John

• 5. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
                  ansarias

Could you please upload those logs here?

• 6. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
                    john.ruiz

I've copied and pasted the logs since they were so short; this log was named 'VSEInst_072414_143525.log':

=== Verbose logging started: 7/24/2014  14:35:28  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.7601.00  Calling process: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe ===

MSI (c) (34:6C) [14:35:28:043]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (34:6C) [14:35:28:043]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (34:F0) [14:35:28:074]: Resetting cached policy values

MSI (c) (34:F0) [14:35:28:074]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0

MSI (c) (34:F0) [14:35:28:074]: ******* RunEngine:

******* Product: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\

******* Action:

******* CommandLine: **********

MSI (c) (34:F0) [14:35:28:074]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\ 3: -2147287037

MSI (c) (34:F0) [14:35:28:074]: MainEngineThread is returning 3

=== Verbose logging stopped: 7/24/2014  14:35:28 ===

• 7. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
                      ansarias

Do you have any other logs in same folder, from these logs unable to fins exact error codes.

Also check ePO ID is having permission to deploy VSE for that perticlular server.

Please also confirm on below point:

Is server running with old VSE product?  If yes than remove Access Protection rule "Common Standard Protection - Prevent common programs from running files from Temp folder"? and Try to deploy McAfee VSE from ePO.

Message was edited by: ansarias on 25/7/14 8:23:40 PM IST

Message was edited by: ansarias on 25/7/14 8:24:12 PM IST
                      • 8. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
                        john.ruiz

Thank You Ansarias,

These are the logs that are in the same McAfeeLogs\tempfolder:

FrmInst_TargetServer.txt

FrmInst_TargetServer_error.txt

MFEagent.msi.2014.07.24.14.42.41.txt

UpdaterUI_TargetServer.txt

UpdaterUI_TargetServer_error.txt

vse8.8.0.core_uninstall_072414_135620.etl

vse8.8.0.core_uninstall_072414_135620.txt

VSEInst_072414_143525.txt

VSEInst_072414_143544.txt

VSEUninst.txt

To confirm your points: there is no VSE installed on the system. I removed it before attempting the install again.

Thank You

• 9. Re: Tasks invoke, but never run
                          ansarias

Could you please zip all logs and attached here?

1 2 Previous Next