4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 11:07 PM by catdaddy

Computer grinds to a crawl

rgurganus

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 SP1, McAfee Total Protection, Security Center 12.8, AntiVirus 16.8

For the last week (starting 7/17), I've been having a problem where about 30-45 minutes after booting up, the computer grinds down to a very excrutiating crawl.  I have not been doing anything differnet from what I've been doing for years, and it doesn't matter what I'm doing at the time.  Even just browsing files in Windows Explorer with no other windows open.  Plenty of diskspace.  Have not installed or enabled anything new.  Looking at the task manager, nothing is hogging the CPU or RAM.  Windows Update is up-to-date.

When it does slow down, it even takes a few minutes just to End-Task something, and after closing all programs and re-opening, it is still as slow as it was before.  The only thing that brings it back is rebooting.  Then it starts all over again 30-45 minutes later.

I booted up to safe mode with network supprt, and then it behaves wonderfully for several hours, with no problems at all.  So this leads me to believe it's McAfee, as this is one thing that's not loaded in safe mode.  Some services are still loaded, but the "On-access scanner service" which occupies 149,420 k of RAM in regular mode is noticibly absent in safe mode.  Perhaps other services as well.

I ran the virtual technician, but it didn't return anything relevant -- only that services I don't need are disabled.  So I need to know (1) if this is the likely culprit, and (2) what to do about it, other than retreating to safe mode.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Computer grinds to a crawl
          Peacekeeper

What cpu model and have you tried to uninstall mcafee and reinstall it runnin this program before reinstalling?

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

and reinstall from your account

How to uninstall reinstall see a link in my signature

• 2. Re: Computer grinds to a crawl
            hades

Have you tried getting rid of Temp Files (%temp%), and checked for 3rd party application that might be conflicting with the Mcafee real-time scanner (what I mean is other antivirus program) ?

• 3. Re: Computer grinds to a crawl
              rgurganus

So I uninstalled McAfee, but before re-installing, I went back to work to see if the problem went away without this installed... but it didn't.  The same issues came back as before.  So at least one factor is eliminated.  If all else fails, I can try a full Windows re-install.  Thanks anyway.

• 4. Re: Computer grinds to a crawl
                catdaddy

Have you been running any "Registry Cleaners"? Other than Windows "Disk Clean/McAfee Quick Clean"?

They can actually do more harm than good,and wreak havoc on one,s system. Other than that, excluding an infection. It seems that your installation may be corrupted.

Did you follow PeaceKeeper,s instructions? As he stated, Guidelines/Instructions for doing a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall can be found below his Signature. Just make certain that you remove from your Control Panel/Add Remove/Program Features/Restart.

Then run the Latest MCPR Tool/Restart. I would then as he stated run the McAfee Pre-Install tool before going to your account to Download/Install your Software again. Sometimes it is best to (Save) to your desktop and close all applications/Browsers and go to that folder and install.

If all this does not resolve your issues, Technical Support is available 24/7 and can be reached by looking under "Useful Links" at the top of this page, or below my Signature.

I would do all as suggested, before attempting a complete "Windows Re-Install"

You might try running some of the Superb (Free) Tools listed in the (Second Link) below my Signature as well. To include the Latest McAfee "Getsusp Tool", please remember to enter your email address under preferences,before scanning. Also try the Malwarebytes (Free) Version only. No need to Activate the free trial, The (Free) Version will suffice.

Wishing you all the Best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/25/14 12:07:44 AM EDT