1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 12:36 PM by sliedl

Default Port State

ones_and_zeros

Hi,

I have been looking for the definative answer to this but so far have been unsuccessful. Coming from CISCO land I am used to disabling unused ports. When I was looking at doing the same on the Sidewinder it seems that ports are in a state of limbo (from the GUI perspective atleast). So my understanding is that ports are not initialised until they get an IP assigned and that they can only be taken down if they have an IP assigned, but they are all up by default.

If that is correct then assuming you have 20 ports you want to disable, you would have to assign dummy addresses inorder to do this which doesn't seem right. Default down atleast catches the chance of IP addresses assigned in error.

Is there a way using the CLI to disable the ports unsued?? and if not can someone define the thinking.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Default Port State
          sliedl

The ports are down until they are configured and plugged in.  You can see the status of the port using 'cf int stat' or 'ifconfig -a'.  You can use 'cf int up name=[name]' and 'cf int down name=[name]' to make configured interfaces go up and down.  You can use 'cf int modify name=[name] enabled=yes|no'  to disable an 'interface' but leave the 'NIC' up (basically you're removing the configuration (IP/mask) placed upon the physical NIC until it's enabled again).