2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 7:37 PM by catdaddy

Computer hacked approximately immediately - McAfee Secuirty Center installed

samfogarty

I set up a new Windows 7 computer for someone. The dell laptop came with McAfee Secuity Center, so I left that as the protection - updated everything, installed various standard applications.

Within hours of handing it over, (at least) the following programs were installed:

Omiga Plus

Buzz-it

Easy Deals

PowerfulBrowse

SaveClicker

SearchProtect

SmartSaver+ 15

SupTab

Supporter

WindowsMangerProtect

The user claims they did approximately nothing with the machine 'other than to download google chrome' and then everything started breaking.

McAfee reports no problems, even after a thorough scan. Chrome and Mozilla seem to not run. Internet Explorer had its home page altered, of course, but also now just crashes anyway.

My first question - why does McAfee think nothing of all these being installed?

Secondly - how was it so easy to install all this seemingly without the user's knowledge/consent?

I consider this setup a lost cause, and will wipe the machine start over. I am pretty shocked how fast the machine got dominated...