3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 2:04 PM by Peter M

help needed

:confused:
      I'm new to this whole computer thing and i recently downloaded mcafee virus protection and when i did a virus scan it detected 3 and when i click the view details there was only one and when i tried to remove it my self it wouldn't let me completly remove it the file name was Adware-Wyyo and its says below that the file name is windows\Temp\Wyy57E2 any advice on what to do. and does anyone have any tips on how to use virus protection. i have never dealt with virus protection and this is my first time owning or using a computer on a daily basis. so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. RE: help needed
          Peter M
          Rule of thumb is to keep Windows totally up to date at all times with both critical and non-critical updates and make sure you have anti-virus and firewall protection that is always on and up to date too.

Try scanning using the free versions of these two tools and let them clean everything they find:
          http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
          • 2. Re: RE: help needed

Ex_Brit,

I have the same problem with "Adware-Wyyo".  I have emailed customer service and their solution did not work.  From your suggestion, it seems that McAfee doesn't have a way to fix this problem.  Will you please clarify?  Also I have a question about the links you posted.  Since they go to non-McAfee sites, what is the best forum to address my questions to you?  I presume not this board...

• 3. Re: RE: help needed
              Peter M

joemull wrote:

Ex_Brit,

I have the same problem with "Adware-Wyyo".  I have emailed customer service and their solution did not work.  From your suggestion, it seems that McAfee doesn't have a way to fix this problem.  Will you please clarify?  Also I have a question about the links you posted.  Since they go to non-McAfee sites, what is the best forum to address my questions to you?  I presume not this board...

Emailing support isn't going to help when malware is concerned - you need quick action.  Adware-Wyvo is indeed convered by McAfee since early 2009 (when this thread was started).  See THIS link.

That said, no antivirus on the market is guaranteed to provide 100% protection.  Surf safely, be carefuil what you download and/or click on and always keep you system totally up to date with all updates, both critical and non-critical, and it is a good idea to keep some updated anti-malware application on hand, such as Malwarebytes (free) or similar.

That particular case above was in a temporary file which is easily cleanable by getting rid of your temporary files.