7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 7:53 AM by BobStasz

SAE in Chrome

trichar2

I am trying to use SAE 3.5.0.1204 in Google Chrome 36.0.1985.125. I can drag and drop the .crx from the SAE install folder onto the Chrome extensions page and it will install and work fine until I restart Chrome. At that point, Chrome will notify me that the extension has been disabled because it is not listed in the Chrome Web Store. When I go into the extensions in Chrome, I see the message shown in the attached image. I am unable to enable the extension. Will SAE ever be added to the Chrome Web Store or will SAE be supported in Chrome?

• 1. Re: SAE in Chrome
          exbrit

Moved to SAE for better support.

• 2. Re: SAE in Chrome
            BobStasz

I have an open SR with McAfee on this very issue.  And I have spoken with top tier engineers.  The issue is being worked on and McAfee is in contact with Google.  Google changed their security stance regarding installing extensions from any location other then the Play Store.  I have been able to get the SAE 3.5.0.1204 extension to work on an individual computer basis (not able to deploy enterprise wide, but need to touch each individual machine).

Below are the steps I have used to allow the McAfee Site Advisor Enterprise extension for Google Chrome to stay active and allow to be enabled.  McAfee Site Advisor Enterprise should already be installed on the machine prior to these steps:

1. Download the Google Chrome Policy Templates: DO NOT add the Google Chrome GPO Templates to the Active Directory environment

2. Download the Google Chrome for Business .msi installer (easier to work with and consistently installs un “C:\Program Files” rather than the user profile, if current user is set as a Standard User)

3. Unzip the Google Chrome Policy Templates.

4. Copy the Google Chrome policy definition files as follows:

a) Copy “Chrome Policy Templates\Windows\admx\chrome.admx” to “C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions”

b) Copy “Chrome Policy Templates\Windows\admx\en-US\chrome.adml” to “C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US”

5. Launch the local Group Policy editor by running “gpedit.msc”

6. Under Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Google | Google Chrome

a) Set “Incognito mode availability” to Disabled

b) Set “Specify a list of enabled plugins” to Enabled; Add “*SiteAdvisor” (without quotes) to the list of enabled plugins using the “Show…” button.

7. Under Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Google | Google Chrome | Extensions

a) Set “Configure extension installation whitelist” to Enabled; Add “feobgjncdknhelkhjpiejdbpliekmfaj” (without quotes) to the list of extension IDs to exempt from the blacklist using the “Show…”      button.

8. Under Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Google | Google Chrome

a) Set “Incognito mode availability” to Disabled

b) Set “Specify a list of enabled plugins” to Enabled; Add “*SiteAdvisor” (without quotes) to the list of enabled plugins using the “Show…” button.

9. Under Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Google | Google Chrome | Extensions

a) Set “Configure extension installation whitelist” to Enabled; Add “feobgjncdknhelkhjpiejdbpliekmfaj” (without quotes) to the list of extension IDs to exempt from the blacklist using the “Show…”      button.

10. Install Google Chrome using the downloaded installer from Step 2

a) If Google Chrome is already installed under “C:\Program Files” or “C:\Program Files (x86), proceed to step 11.

b) If Google Chrome is already installed, but is installed under the current user profile, I recommend uninstalling first.

11. Launch Google Chrome, if prompted, acknowledge the prompt and enable the McAfee Site Advisor extension.

12. Choose the “Customize and Control Google Chrome” menu (three bars at right end of address bar), then select Settings

13. Choose Extensions on the left side menu, locate the McAfee Site Advisor Enterprise extension, and make sure it is Enabled.  If not, enable it.

14. Close Google Chrome.  Re-launch Google Chrome and follow steps 12 & 13 again to ensure the extensions is not disabled and locked.

• 3. Re: SAE in Chrome
              BobStasz

On a side note, we use an enterprise wide software deployment tool, and we are working on automating theses steps to test if we can centrally manage this process through the software deployment tool.

• 4. Re: Re: SAE in Chrome
                londonsec

Not sure if this will help but we created a query to assist in finding users running Google Chrome v34 or higher.

Feel free to use and edit as needed. 

*This does require you have Application Inventory deployed*

• 5. Re: SAE in Chrome
                  sguisao

Hi

is there any way to keep 3.5 Plug SAE pad 2 ( 3.51204 ) enabled many machines without making the process of individually checking if the solution is for each machine business ??

Greetings

• 6. Re: SAE in Chrome
                    BobStasz

At our firm we have found a way to manipulate the settings on the local machine for Google Chrome and Site Advisor.  We use a software deployment solution from RayManageSoft called Deployment Manager.  Our EXCELLENT Desktop Application team discover the files that contain the preferences for Google Chrome.  Therefore using the steps outlined above in the post from August 7, they were able to automate these "steps" by capturing the registry settings on a Windows 7 machine as they were AFTER following the steps outlined.  In turn they were able to identify the local files that were affected by these changes in the user profile for Google Chrome.

By exporting the registry settings, and the preferences files for Google Chrome, creating a distribution / installation package that contained these settings, we have been able to push the desired default settings to each machine in the firm.  If Google Chrome is already installed the extension for Site Advisor (3.5.0.1214) is no longer greyed out, but is available to enable \ disable, and the extension, by default is enabled, after this installation package is installed. 

This will become our standard deployment until McAfee & Google can come to an agreement to allow enterprises manage the SAE Extension in Chrome more effectively.

If anyone would like the more gory details on how this was accomplished, please e-mail me @ Bob.Staszewski@CroweHorwath.com

• 7. Re: SAE in Chrome
                      BobStasz

You should be able to set the hardening policy in Site Advisor Enterprise Plus through ePO to not allow the extension to be disabled.  I am not sure how this is effected with the changes Google has made to Chrome and the ability to manage third party extensions.

SAE_Hardening.jpg