1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 11:50 AM by catdaddy

Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled

peetnard

Sunday 9:30 am -- scheduled scan. It's now 5:30 pm and no scan has even started yet. PC was untouched for 5 hours.  The only thing going on was a screen saver -- could this be preventing it from scanning? Here is the version. Windows 8.1, Google Chrome 35.0.1916.153  - this happens every scheduled time... what's going on?

mcafee.PNG

• 1. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
          catdaddy

Hi peetnard,

Welcome to the McAfee Communities. It could indeed be due to your "Power Theme/Settings". In addition have you checked to see if your internet Time is synced/correct? You can also open your McAfee UI, and click on Navigation/General Settings and Alerts/General settings/and uncheck (Wait until my PC is idle to run scheduled tasks).

In addition please make sure you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-ons/Adobe Flash Player. To include Internet Explorer, even if you do not use it, McAfee does in order to function properly.

Perhaps someone else will add to the discussion, as I am more familiar with Windows 7 SP1. If all else fails, you can run the latest MVT and check for issues,or contact support 24/7 and it is (Free) You can locate how to either below my Signature,or under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Note; When you open the link to Technical Support, you will see the McAfee Virtual Technician-(MVT)

Also since you mentioned no abnormal behaviour, other than your scheduled scan not commencing, I excluded the possiblity of an infection.

Wishing you all the best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/13/14 9:31:04 PM EDT
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
            Peacekeeper

go to navigation general settings and alerts and General settings and untick the wait till idle option. Scheduled scan will start immediately the set time is ready and not wait for 10 minutes of 10% or less cpu activity.

• 3. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
              peetnard

I assume my Time is correct -- it's synced to "time-a.nist.gov"

My Power settings are for screen saver to come on after 30 mins of idle time.

My computer updates all software, browsers, etc automatically.

Ran MVT, no issues or problems detected.

I uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee Plus Elite edition.

Still it did not scan on time.

I have now unchecked the wait until idle option.

I will report back.

• 4. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
                peetnard

I have unchecked the wait until idle option and will report back when & if it scans as scheduled tomorrow.

• 5. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
                  catdaddy

Thank you for the info and lets hope that unchecking the idle option suffices. I have my Monitor/Theme or Screen saver to (Turn off) after 20 minutes. Please let us know your results....

Btw "McAfee Plus Elite Edition", is this provided by your ISP,or Computer manufacturer?

I could tell by your Affld: 679

I see that you are running the 12.8 Version...which should upgrade in the near future,as the 13.6 Version is being throttled as we speak.

Wishing all the Best,

Regards,

• 6. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
                    peetnard

McAfee is still not scanning as scheduled, despite unchecking the idle option. VEry frustrating.

• 7. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
                      catdaddy

Then I would suggest a call, or via chat to contact Technical Support is in order. Again the link to do so can be found below my Signature,or under "Useful Links" at the Top of the page. Please let us know the results.

In addition, may I ask if you have ran a manual (On Demand)  Full Scan?

All the very Best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/15/14 4:47:56 PM EDT
                      • 8. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
                        peetnard

Thanks Catdaddy and Peacemaker --

I finally called McAfee (I use the Plus Elite version provided by AT&T U-verse), and they checked all the settings (time ok, screen saver ok), but claimed the problem was that it hadn't updated properly. So updated the McAfee Anti-Virus & the McAfee Site Advisor, and it immediately started scanning. (Still version  12.8 for Security Center, 16.8 for Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware, Site Advisor 3.7, Firewall 13.8, Quick Clean 12.8, Vulnerability scanner 2.8)

Not sure why it wasn't updating, since I have auto update checked. Tech person also deleted lots of temp files which may have been interfering.

Does this make sense that this was the problem? I'll let you know if it doesn't scan the next scheduled time. But it seems strange that it wasn't updating automatically and that this was the issue.

• 9. Re: Scheduled Scan doesn't start as scheduled
                          catdaddy

Glad to hear that all seems to be okay now. You are perfectly welcome.

And yes please let us know , your results.

I might add also, if you feel that your issues have been resolved, could you please mark appropiately?

If it is the case, that it isn,t, simply post back....

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Edited; for typos

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/15/14 5:26:29 PM EDT
                          1 2 Previous Next