2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2014 7:30 PM by Peter M

"Stinger" for use on different computer?

deankay58

I have Dell D620 XP PRO 32bit that boots to show "A disk read error occurred". Self test during pre-boot show all good including hard drive. Support disc with utilities was ran multiple times for complete system, memory, hard drive, and several in "System Tree". All test pass! I saw on-line where this problem could be caused by an infection and was directed to McAfee "Stinger" free app. I have barrowed working laptop to download to thumb-drive as to transfer to Dell for testing. As I have read, it appears I can open the program using USB as #1 in boot sequence, then run "Stinger"

Can this be done? Is there a correct way that I need to know? The HHD on the Dell is not noisy, no clicking, no run-up or run-down for speeds... No indication the hard drive is done. Hard drive is a Toshiba 80GB. Help?

Thanks, DK

Message was edited by: deankay58 on 6/29/14 2:11:50 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: "Stinger" for use on different computer?
          catdaddy

I basically have no answer to your question,unfortunately. I have noticed "Stinger" does indicate ePO 32 bit,and ePO 64 bit Downloads. Possibly someone with more knowledge in regards to your question,will pick up this thread.

During the meantime,you may try the Superb Getsusp Tool to scan with. It detects Suspicious/Unknown files that other programs fail to do so. Simply remember to add your email address under "( Preferences ) before scanning.

This and other Superb (Free) Tools can be found below my Signature ( Second Link )

You should recieve an confirmation that McAfee Labs have recieved your submission to be analyzed. Save the Analysis ID # for future reference.

All the very Best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/29/14 5:27:48 PM EDT
          • 2. Re: "Stinger" for use on different computer?
            Peter M

There is no way to make a bootable version of Stinger.    What you describe sounds like imminent disc failure.   Run a chkdsk /r as per these instructions:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If it fails then you need to look into replacing that hard drive.

Otherwise look at hints in  the last link in my signature below.