4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2014 1:33 AM by llamamecomoquieras RSS

Creating a user-defined rule

merwinsujay123

I need to create a user-defined rule to detect (abc) with various extensions such as .dll, .swf, It should be detecting any file starting with (abc) from any directory on the file system. Can anyone help me with this

Note : abc is a file.

Message was edited by: Hayton - the subject line was over-long - on 28/06/14 16:47:50 IST
        • 1. Re: Creating a user-defined rule
          Hayton

@merwinsujay

The subject line was too long for a comfortable display so I trimmed it. Does the new subject line still describe the question adequately?

You posted this in the Consumer section but I can't tell where it should best go to get an answer. Is this for the Consumer version of McAfee or are you running an Enterprise or Business version?

• 2. Re: Creating a user-defined rule
            merwinsujay123

Enterprise Version

• 3. Re: Creating a user-defined rule
              Hayton

Thank you. On the assumption that this is still a VirusScan question I've moved the thread to the Business section -  Business / Endpoint Security / VirusScan Enterprise - for attention.

• 4. Re: Creating a user-defined rule
                llamamecomoquieras

Morning,

You should open the VSE console and create an exclusion with the filename and for each extension that you want to get detected since the user defined rules does not accept wildcards. So you should create the following user define rules:

abc.dll

abc.swf

If you want to detect any file which starts with abc, you must know and define the complete filename like this, abchello.dll as I said before user define rules does not accept wildcards. Do not worry about the path as it will be detected in any path if the filename (defined by you) it is found in any path

Cheers,