4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 9:37 AM by les85

Problem applying VSE patch 4 for testing

les85

I'm having difficulty applying VSE patch 4.  I read a post from 4/15 10:32am and understand why I still see patch 2 or 3 for my pre Windows 8.1 workstations but I don't understand why the 8.1 machines still show patch 3 after running the update task.  I have set my policy to Evaluation for VSE 8.8 which is where I have the patch checked in.  Any ideas?  We are on ePO 4.6.4 using MA 4.8.  Any help would be appreciated.

One more note.  If I download and run the patch on Windows 7 or 8.1 it installs successfully.  I really need to do this through EPO because of the number of machines involved.

Thanks,

Leslie

• 1. Re: Problem applying VSE patch 4 for testing
          Daniel_S

There is a "general" policy for the Agent (not VSE) where you specify where patches i.e. for VSE should be grabbed from. Is this also pointing towards the evaluation branch? as the patch has nothing to do with the deployment-task for VSE.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem applying VSE patch 4 for testing
            les85

Daniel,

I found that the update actually did work when I checked the next day.  For some reason, the workstations were still reporting the last patch.  I haven't found why yet.  Yes, I have a policy set up to pull from the evaluation branch.

Thanks,

Leslie

• 3. Re: Problem applying VSE patch 4 for testing
              Daniel_S

Did you check the registry for the machines which patchversion is shown?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee\DesktopProtection

Value should be in szPackageNum

For 32bit check in just the Software\McAfee branch.

• 4. Re: Problem applying VSE patch 4 for testing
                les85

Daniel,

Thanks for your help in pointing me to the registry keys.  I deployed patch 4 to another system (Windows 7) yesterday but today it still appeared on the old patch level.  I checked the registry key you noted and it has a value of 6.  CoreRef is VSE88P4 and szProductVer is 8.8.0.1247.  These are all correct.  Woke up the agent and now it appears correctly in ePO.  Our agent to server communication is set to 4 hours and this machine had been turned off right after I applied the patch yesterday.

All is well now.  Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Leslie