8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2014 9:00 AM by catdaddy

Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus

questionguy

After following an adobe update prompt to download a new flash version mcafee security scan plus installed on my computer.  It was through this link https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_14_for_Other _Browsers&os=Windows%207&browser_type=KHTML&browser_dist=Chrome&a=McAfee_Securit y_Scan_Plus_Chrome_Browser&dualoffer=false&type=au&browser_vers=35.0.1916.153.  Immediately after I tried unistalling and an error window pops up saying "An error occuried trying to uninstall mcafee security plan plus.  It may have already been uninstalled.  Would you like to remove mcafee security scan plus from the programs and features list?".  I found the root directery/services and its obviously still on even though  oddly when I try to start up the program it says that the security scan is unavailable because my pc isn't connected to the internet or security scan is temporaly unavailable.  Is there anyway to completely remove this program?  Thanks

• 1. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
          catdaddy

Hi questionguy,

Welcome to McAfee Communities. To my knowledge the most current Adobe Flash Player Version is ( 14.0.0.125) which was installed 6/11/2014 or on Microsoft " Update Tuesday". My first question of concern,is what were you doing when you recieved the"Update Prompt"?

You should have already recieved and be running the latest Version.

First,in order to find out if you (Are) running the most current version of Flash.You can go to the inserted link HERE  As for the McAfee Security Scan+, this is only a marketing tool and has no "Protection Capabilities" at all. Generally it is offered as a (Optional) Program which you can Uncheck/Decline to install before installing Flash.

You should simply be able to go to your Control Panel, and locate /select the program and remove.Again getting back to the (Prompt) regarding a Newer Version? To my knowlege there is no "Out of Band" emergency Update.

You may wish to Download/Install Malwarebytes (Free), do not accept the (Free Trial) or activate.The (Free) version will suffice. Save it to your desktop,and close all applications/browsers and install from the folder it was placed in.

Upon running Malwarebytes,remove any detected items(if any) and restart your Computer to completely remove any remnants.

This program along with other Superb (Free) Tools can be located below my Signature(Second Link). I would follow up by running the latest McAfee Getsusp Tool. Please remember to add your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning.

Getsusp can be found in the same link. Please post back your results, and attempt to uninstall McAfee Security Scan+ again.

Regards,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
            Peacekeeper

I would add the Mcafee servers are down at the moment and downloads that come from any of them may give downloading errors. Besides as CD says Mcafee security scan plus is really a marketing tool and not needed if you have Mcafee installed so see if there ois any option in the Programs and features to uninstall it if not check if your flash is upfated if not reinstall the latest version BUT untick any add programs that are mentioned/offerred.

• 3. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
              questionguy

Thanks for responding so fast.  It seems I was able to run/remove MSSP through the programs and features window but all the files are still in the root directory and we all know the perails of removing programs by just deleting their root folder.  So I'm still looking for a way to completely remove MSSP completely as I have other virus protection that I am happy with.   About the prompt I got:  as I don't have flash on auto/silent update every so often I get a prompt saying there's a new version of flash.  So after clicking the download button I was taken to the link in the original post.  No where did it say anything about being bundled with MSSP except at the end of the url (which I didn't pay attention too because of how long it was).  I might have declined a pervious update for flash so thats why it was delayed.   My flash should also be up to date as chrome comes with flash built in so all this time I must have been updating a seperate flash.  I'm 99% percent postive that I didn't get any virus/malware as I am very careful of what I download/install and the download  link for the adobe bundle is legitamate.  So my main question is how can I completely remove MSSP?  Malwarebytes and Getsusp are unneeded as MSSP shouldn't be considered malware.  If this is a unique problem where the only solution is downloading thirdparty software then I'll just do a fresh install as I like keeping my computer uncluttered.

• 4. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
                Peacekeeper

Actually I have an idea usually removing it from the programs and features area fixes things but I assume it did not if bits are still visible that can also inmply there are bits still in the registry. How about going to the mcafee site and download it then retry the uninstall path.

That has worked with some other programs that did not uninstall correctly in the past?

re the warning it is there part way through the flash install. You can also get an offer of chrome or ask taskbar or Norton's security centre etc

From what we have been told the programs and features is the only way to uninstall it unless support has a removal tool they keep to them selves.

Ok installed it myself has folders in Programfiles and program data folders that I can see.

The program files folder of MSC was removed but part of the program data folder remained.

Rebooting did not help i then scanned teh registry and only 2 areas MSc is mentioned both compatibility store showing path to the MSc uninstall file.

I then removed the program data folder and do not expect any issues.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/06/14 7:08:58 AM
                • 5. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
                  catdaddy

questionguy said;

I have declined a previous update for flash so thats why it was delayed. My flash should also be up to date as chrome comes with flash built in so all this time I must have been updating a seperate flash. I'm 99% percent postive that I didn't get any virus/malware as I am very careful of what I download/install and the download link for the adobe bundle is legitamate.

The above statements are the primary reason,I suggested you run "Malwarebytes (Free). I am fully aware of the fact that Adobe Flash Player is (Baked in) to your Chrome Browser. My main concern is that you have by chance been installing Flash from a "Prompt" as you clearly have stipulated, when there was no reason to do so.

You are correct in saying that McAfee Security + is a legitimate program. And the advice that Peacekeeper suggested is indeed adequate.

I can respect the fact that you have your own personal preference of Security. Having said that...Please make certain that you have Internet Explorer 11 updated and kept current, Flash Player included. Not only is McAfee dependent upon it being so, but your choice of Security/Chrome included are dependent of it being so. You also have to make certain that the new Version (Monthly) is kept up in Internet Explorer,even should you choose not to use it.

You seem to be Technically astute enough to be cautious of what you download/install.

I would still, in my honest opinion, DownLoad/Install Malwarebytes (Free) only. For a second opinion.It is designed to compliment,not replace your choice of Anti-Virus Application. It quite possibly may detect the Program which you were prompted by, to install the most current Adobe Flash Player. Especially due to the fact, that it is (Baked-in Chrome) and installed each month around Microsoft "Update Tuesday"

There are also other alternatives to make certain all remnants left over from your McAfee Security + are removed. However if one is not familiar with the registry, I don,t recommend them. For usually you can do more harm than good. Normally removing from your Control panel will suffice.

Just thought I would add this....

Wishing you all the Best.

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/24/14 11:21:58 PM EDT
                  • 6. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
                    questionguy

Alright so I got MSSP removed by downloading an older 32 bit version and uninstalling.  When I tried uninstalling the 64 bit version from the website it didn't uninstall its 32 bit counterpart.  The MSSP from adobe must of have a bad installation so the uninstall.exe didn't show up.  After I ran the MCPR removal tool and it seemed to do a good job removing the leftover registry files.  Malwarebytes detected zero threats so theres no worries.  You guys were really helpful.  Thanks

• 7. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
                      Peacekeeper

Great to hear. that reinstalling then uninstalling is an old workaround for many uninstall issues. I did not realise there were 64 bit version of security centre plus .

Good luck

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/06/14 6:56:24 AM
                      • 8. Re: Having trouble uninstalling mcafee security scan plus
                        catdaddy

Glad That all seems to be okay for you now

I might add, Kudos to Peacekeeper for suggesting to Reinstall/Uninstall (MSS+) again to remove all remnants.

Although that is a old trick, it never Dawned on me to suggest.

Wishing you the very Best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/29/14 10:00:02 AM EDT