2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 12:12 PM by Hayton

black screen after Windows logo (mfehidk)

rajeshk4u2

1. I left my desktop running, walked off,  back to find the screen was black. The disks were spinning, but could not get the PC wake up. I assumed the screensaver  was not responding. Did a hard power-off shutdown.

2. I did a re-boot. Could see the Windows logo and instead of the login screen I would expect to see, I just saw a black screen. No matter what I did, I could not see my login screen.

3. Booted up safe mode. This was promising, as I finally saw the login screen.

Ran Malware Byte it found nothing.

Ran McAfeee Total protection, ran it for a little about 10minutes, but canceled it found nothing obvious.

4. During Safe Mode, went into Event Viewer. There were 3 errors.

Event Souce: mfehidk

(from memory)   svchost....

contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a priviledged operation with a McAfee driver.

5. I have booted up using a Kaspersky rescue  disk, so far it has found nothing on the primary disk. (Although, I have not checked all disks).

Any help is appreciated, the only way I can access this forum is via the Kaspersky rescue disk. So have limited access and don't have a spare PC to help with diagnosis....

McAfee : Total Protection

• 1. Re: black screen after Windows logo (mfehidk)
          Peter M

A few things to check:

1. In Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Power Options > Advanced, make sure nothing is set to hibernate or otherwise switch off components after a certain time.

2. In Windows Updates, have it set to look for updates for Microsoft and other components using Microsoft Update and then make sure all updates are current as XP reached end-of-life on 08 April this year. 

3. Make sure that Internet Explorer is totally up to date as McAfee software relies on it for function whether or not you actually use it as a browser is irrelevant.

4. Make sure your graphics drivers are installed correctly and functioning properly.

5.  Run the McAfee Virtual Technician to make sure McAfee software is totally functioning & up to date:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If the problem continues Technical Support is free of charge by phone (toll-free) and/or online chat and available via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: black screen after Windows logo (mfehidk)
            Hayton

The XP black-screen-at-startup problem is well known and there are many posts all over the internet from users asking what causes it. It is possible that the mfehidk message is significant but that is not necessarily the cause.

There are many different reasons for the Black Screen. Sometimes XP will boot normally after about 10 minutes, sometimes it won't get past the black screen.

Microsoft have an article about it with some recommendations at https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

Cause 2

This issue occurs if one or more of the following elements are corrupted and will not load during the boot sequence of the computer:

• Master boot record
            • Partition tables
            • Boot sector
            • NTLDR file

Because the OP can boot into Safe Mode (with a restricted set of drivers, processes and services) the most likely cause is either a problem with the disk or a corrupted Windows driver.

- To check for disk problems : In Safe Mode start a command window (Start-->Run-->cmd) and entering the command "chkdsk /f" (without quotes) to check the file system, or "chkdsk /r" (without quotes) to check the file system and also check the drive for bad sectors.

- To check for corrupted Windows files, in the command window enter "sfc /scannow" (without quotes)

These checks will take some time on an XP machine but they are the first troubleshooting steps to undertake before looking at third-party drivers.

Sometimes the black screen is the result of a hardware problem, so if those first checks do not fix the problem we will need to know some technical details. In XP the built-in tools for finding technical information are adequate but not as good as in Windows 7, so I advise downloading Piriform's Speccy (free version) to get that information. Speccy also runs various checks on the hardware and will detect and flag many of the potential causes.

The Black Screen is sometimes seen after using an aggressive registry cleaner. If the OP has used one of those then the registry is probably badly corrupted and if that is the case the OP should restore the registry (if he has a recent registry backup : even then there are likely to be further registry problems); if it's a registry issue and there is no registry backup the best thing to do is format and re-install XP or else upgrade the OS.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 23/06/14 18:12:50 IST