6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2016 9:05 PM by mekafir

Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter

jebotha

Hi All

I am getting a lot of requests to set up and configure Content Security Reporter now that it is available for ePO 5.1. Problem is that many people run Web Reporter Premium. From what I have read there is no way to migrate data seeing as the dabase structure for both products are completely different.

So in short, what are my options? As far as I can see the only way to do this is set up a new server running CSR 2.1, manually create custom reports as they were in Web Reporter and start logging to the new server. Then, keep the Web Reporter online for historical reports only. Has anyone been in the same postion and what would you recommend?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter
          sroering

Keeping Web Reporter on a separate system to be used for historical reasons is probably the best option available since there is no migration path available.

• 2. Re: Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter
            malware-alerts

I'd try and convince my users to stay on WebReporter Premium. they will end-up losing some flexibility in the reports when using CSR.

• 3. Re: Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter
              jebotha

If I am not mistaken, Web reporter will eventually be replaced by CSR (probably not very soon but still). In your opinion, what does Web Reporter offer that is superior to CSR? I am only asking because I really like the ePO interface and ease of reporting, and can't say the same for Web Reporter. Maybe you could convince me otherwise

• 4. Re: Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter
                sroering

The largest difference is that CSR cannot connect to active directory and pull the user's real-names or group membership.  So group based reporting is not possible with CSR yet.  In my experience, that has been the biggest deciding factor.

But I agree regarding the CSR usability.  The dashboard view and being able to pivit on the data is much more modern than Web Reporter's quick view.  And it's hard to beat free.  Web Reporter Premium has a cost associated.

Either way, this is a personal or business choice.  They are different, but similar, products.  You just need to weight where your priorities are.

• 5. Re: Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter
                  malware-alerts

One big difference is what sroering mentioned concerning AD information that cannot be pulled.

There is also the fact that CSR will not give you the flexibility of creating summary reports that contain more than 2 columns grouped together. Yes, the detailed data is available in drill-down tables, but to give you an example, I used to create a summary report showing:

Username / Site / Category / Bytes transfered

This is not possible in CSR, you can only chose 2 out of the 3 between Username/Site/Category to show bytes transfered by using the "MultiGroup Summary table" or "Grouped Bar Chart". If you want to see this information, you need to drill-down in the tables in the report and it will show the information for 1 user at a time.

Yes the integration in ePO and the possibility of pivotting the data is usefull sometimes.

The main reason for us to switch over to CSR was that it was now a central reporting tool for both MWG and MEG.

Yes, WebReporter will eventually be completely replaced by CSR and FREE is hard to beat when you talk to the bookkkeeper, I just find it too bad to have lost some of the functionality.

• 6. Re: Moving from Web Reporter to Content Security Reporter
                    mekafir

sroering So how can we migrate the MySQL database into the proper SQL Server database ?

Please share the KB article here.

Thanks.