1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 3:18 PM by Namster

Confused with setting up SaaS with google apps, pdf's don't make sense

Namster

I was hoping for a little insight on setting up SaaS for the first time for email filtering and protection, etc.

I know this much, when people want to send mail to me, it gets routed through the MX record in DNS. When I send mail out, it goes through the SMTP server.

Current Traffic Flow

Sender --> Google Apps MX --> My Inbox

My Inbox --> Google SMTP --> Recipient

For SaaS, Inbound and Outbound, I don't get it.

What's considered inbound and what's considered outboud?

Which check boxes and ports must I use?

Is this traffic flow correct (assuming SaaS email and SaaS encryption)

Inbound Traffic Flow   Sender --> McAfee MX --> Google Apps MX --> My Inbox

Outboud Traffic Flow  My Outbox --> McAfee SMTP --> Google Apps SMTP --> Recepient

When SaaS is layered into the picture,  am assuming that I have to update the MX record to McAfee. So, will I have to reconfigure all the clients to use a new SMTP address if we use encryption? WIll my clients continue to rectrieve email from the google apps servers?

Alias, one email account currently has 20 aliases, I saw a setting that limits aliases to 5. But the documentation says something about existing is okay, and only x new aliases will be allowed. If this is true, how do I register the current aliases to make sure that email will still be received?

Hopefully someone can help with some high level settings.

• 1. Re: Confused with setting up SaaS with google apps, pdf's don't make sense
          Namster

Okay,

Found out information:

Flow

Inbound Traffic Flow   Sender --> McAfee MX --> Google Apps MX --> My Inbox

Outboud Traffic Flow  My Outbox --> Google Apps SMTP --> SMARTHOST --> Recepient

Clients do not need to be reconfigured.

As for the Inbound and Outbound server configuration

Inbound Server - Type in the MX record of your domain name (if this is for your email protection), or your customer's domain (if you are providng MSP)

The inbound server is where McAfee will send your messages after they have been filtered.

Outbound Server - Type in the SMTP Address to your domain, or your customer's domain.

Normall your put in the SMTP server for your smail organization here. Google Apps is different and according to support, you just need to check the box and save it.

If you do want to encrypt your outbound mail and filter it, you should setup a smart host with your email provider, this will relay messages sent from you, throug McAfee's server for check and wrapping before it goes to the customer.

Hope this helps everyone.