7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 5:59 PM by gelliot

Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates

gelliot

My last automatic anti-virus update was Friday, June 13.  Since then, it won't do automatic updates.  And now it won't let me check for updates, it just flips the screen back to the previous screen.  For automatic updates, I do have checked that it should notify me before installing, which has always worked.  Now it does not work, and it does not update.  Also, the Security Report that counts blocked connections stopped working on June 13. Please help.  Gelliot

Message was edited by: gelliot on 6/17/14 2:34:25 PM CDT

Message was edited by: gelliot on 6/17/14 2:36:46 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
          Peter M

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it will repair it.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also it might be a good idea to check a few things.  Is your system up to date totally, including parts you may not use (Internet Explorer for instance if you use another browser) and it your system clock accurate?

Any evidence that you may have picked up an infection from somewhere?  If so try Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner linked in the last link in my signature below.

• 2. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
            gelliot

Thank yoiu for this response.

I ran Virtual Technician, and it said there are no problems.  My computer is fairly new, so it should be up to date.  My system clock is up to date.   The other free tools you mention scare me a bit.  I'm not that technically oriented and am afraid I'll crash my computer.

As far as I know, this started when my laptop wouldn't shut down, and I had to take the battery out and put it back.  Once that was done, I started having this problem with McAfee not updating.

Gelliot

• 3. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
              Peter M

Well technical Support is free of charge if you need someone who can do a hands-on investigation.  They are available by phone (best method) or online chat, (second-best) and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page and for your area they are open 24/7.   They can link up with your machine and check things out.  Don't worry they do not access your personal stuff.

• 4. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
                selvan

Hi gelliot,

It is best to Contact Tech Support from the below link whom will diagnose the issue for you.

https://service.mcafee.com/ContactTechnicalSupport.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

Good luck..!

• 5. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
                  thecreator

gelliot wrote:

Thank yoiu for this response.

I ran Virtual Technician, and it said there are no problems.  My computer is fairly new, so it should be up to date.  My system clock is up to date.   The other free tools you mention scare me a bit.  I'm not that technically oriented and am afraid I'll crash my computer.

As far as I know, this started when my laptop wouldn't shut down, and I had to take the battery out and put it back.  Once that was done, I started having this problem with McAfee not updating.

Gelliot

Hi Gelliot,

When you took the battery out of the Laptop, in order to shutdown, what exactly happened that you noticed it would not shutdown? Did you do Start then Shutdown?

After you put the battery back in, did you run ChkDsk by first scheduling the Chkdsk then rebooting to run Chkdsk on the operating system's partition?

After you run Chkdsk, manually clean out your two Temp folders, then run Disk Cleanup.

• 6. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
                    catdaddy

if you don,t feel comfortable contacting TS,you may try disabling "Access Protection" and rebooting in "SafeMode w/Networking" and clear your Cache. Check for updates after allowing Windows to load entirely, and if proves to be successful, turn "Access Protection" back on.

Just a thought......

Post was intended for the OP.

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/18/14 6:40:45 PM EDT
                    • 7. Re: Won't let me check for updates and doesn't do automatic updates
                      gelliot

Windows 8 (I miss Windows XP).  My first laptop.  Procedure for shutting down is go to Windows icon (where XP has the Start button), right click and tell it to shut down.  Under normal circumstances, it tells me it's shutting down, the screen goes black, and all the indicator lights on the laptop shut off.  This time, the screen went black, but the indicator lights stayed on.  Disconnecting it from the power source and the internet did not make the lights go off.  It was still running, but the screen was black.  Clicking on the laptop's little start button did nothing - it was running but wouldn't come on.  So I took the battery out.  Didn't occur to me to run Chkdsk, because I haven't figure out where it is on Windows 8. 

Because my laptop is still new enough to be under warranty, I just had the Help Desk at my manfacturer run it through their Malware and Virus checkers. No infections.  But McAfee suddenly started working like it's supposed to.  We'll see if it updates tomorrow.  I have a follow up call coming from the manufacturer Help Desk in a few days, and I think I'll mention to them what you have said about running ChkDsk. 

Gelliot

Message was edited by: gelliot on 6/18/14 5:59:01 PM CDT