Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
22885 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 6:32 AM by anandd RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Newcomer 6 posts since
May 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2009 1:09 PM

Generic PUP.x

Hi I am new to these forums can anyone tell me how to remove a Generic PUP.x from my PC, when McAfee scans it find this threat but when i try to remove it I get a message saying McAfee cannot completely remove this from your computer. every time McAfee scans it finds this Generic PUP.x what is it ? is it harmful and how do I get rid of it . :confused:
  • secured2k Champion 3,903 posts since
    Jun 17, 2005
    1. May 8, 2009 10:53 PM (in response to lukehear)
    RE: Generic PUP.x
    The Generic PUP.x is not a virus but a PUP. PUPs are Potentially Unwanted Programs. This means it could be something you want and be legitimate but McAfee has found that sometimes it ends up on your computer without your knowledge or permission.

If you can post more information about the detection (File name and Path and program accessing the file), I might be able to tell you more information about what it is.

Otherwise, it is probably safe to remove or trust based on your PC experience. If you are getting popups or unwanted browser hijacks or toolbars, removing this PUP might fix your problem.

Note: I've found that some ISP's and computer manufacturers will install some software considered PUPs.

E-mail Certificate Download Live Messenger Status Skype Status
    Jun 17, 2005
    3. May 9, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to lukehear)
    McAfee might not be able to remove the PUP since it might be contained within an Archive (a package of a group of files) OR the file is locked by backup software (since I see the folder detection starts with "C:\MyBackup...")

Simply locate the file in "My Computer" and delete it.

Jun 17, 2005
    4. May 9, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to secured2k)
    I looked up a copy of an adware infection library and found an example of your detection.

AdWare.Win32.Shopper.l (adware)

* \\??\\Downloads\myspacegraphicsfree(2).exe\resource.0000.pkg\Freeze-SmartShoppe r_Installer.exe

If your computer has run some unknown code claiming to be some picture or video, you might have another trojan downloader.

You can check your computer with another Antivirus (in case McAfee missed something) and MalwareBytes for AntiSpyware.

ESET Online Scanner - Scans and Cleans detected threats
    MalwareBytes - Specialized AntiSpyware scanner

Finally, if you see someone signing on and you know for sure they are not signing on (be careful that you can truly verify this) then the account might be compromised. The password should be changed from a CLEAN computer only.

Jun 17, 2005
    6. May 9, 2009 1:06 PM (in response to lukehear)
    Even if McAfee detected a PUP, your system should be safe. The main problem of PUPs is that they could be annoying software with completely legitimate license information, installers, and uninstallers. Ideally, you would just remove the bad PUP from Add/Remove Programs. However, since some PUPs come with other software (usually "free" software), you can't remove them without breaking a license agreement or removing the parent program.

If your system seems to be running OK, then chances are you are fine and don't have to do more scans. Some people want the feeling of added security and assurance their system is indeed clean. This is why I provide a link to a good spyware/behavior scanner (malwarebytes) and an AntiVirus that is good at detecting new and unknown viruses without a lot of false positives (ESET Online Scanner).

Jun 17, 2005
    8. May 11, 2009 2:11 PM (in response to lukehear)
    It is normal to get an alert if McAfee detects something. In this case, mcAfee detected the PUP in System Restore (Restore point #546). This is either an older restore point that contains a backup of your system from an ealier point when the PUP was installed OR a freshly created Restore point created automatically by Windows during a system change or software install.

VirusScan will detect and clean items in System Restore. In some cases, the scan engine *might* not be able to clean files in System Restore in which case the recommended instruction is to disable and re-enable System Restore to clear all the contents of the past restore points.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)