Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2119 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2009 4:49 AM by gribkov RSS
Newcomer 11 posts since
Apr 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 27, 2009 6:02 PM

Windows do not load, McAfee does not function

I got this problem when I turned on my computer last Friday when the regular anti-virus scan was scheduled (coincidence?).
Windows (XP) would not load in any mode except safe (without networking), and McAfee Scan facility would not function bringing the error message and telling at the same time that my system is not safe (on the home screen).
Virus suspected, but how can I scan my computer without access to Internet?
  • secured2k Champion 3,903 posts since
    Jun 17, 2005
    1. Apr 27, 2009 7:16 PM (in response to gribkov)
    RE: Windows do not load, McAfee does not function
    Please be VERY specific.

What happens when you try Safe Mode with Networking?
    What are the error messages?
    What happens when you try to start in Normal Mode?
    In Safe Mode, are you able to use System Restore?

E-mail Certificate Download Live Messenger Status Skype Status
    Jun 17, 2005
    3. Apr 29, 2009 5:14 AM (in response to gribkov)
    *IM - Instant Messenger - Scanning provided automatically for popular/common Instant Messaging Clients [Yahoo/Windows/MSN/Live Messenger/AOL/ICQ]

I have personally tested and verified a similar (or the same!) issue. The problem is caused with a compatibility problem with the newest scan engine and the DATs. This has been reported and is being looked into (as of Tue, Apr 28, 2009) for a fix as the problem may entend to all McAfee products using the McAfee scan Engines and DATs.

The first errors you received with a lot of the protection status options off usually happen when the engine can not load. In the version I tested the other day(12.1), this seemed to be happening because of the DAT/Engine error. The program tries to query the engine to get information but it fails. When it does, the update process never completes and may delete the old dats without installing new ones as well as providing incorrect registry settings (which screw up the updater).

The 2nd error where a component is missing deals with the engine, dat, or buffer overflow dat files. In my experience, it's been because of a missing vscan.bof file (should be in the VirusScan folder). However, if you were able to get the engine to load randomly, the updater will start working on its own and download/create the missing file automatically within a few minutes.

Whatever the case, this is a *bug* that has affected many users and hopefuly there will be a patch or update soon to resolve it.

Jun 17, 2005
    4. Apr 29, 2009 5:19 AM (in response to secured2k)
    In the meantime, if you just want to verify a fairly virus free system, try this scanner. You can run it in Normal mode or Safe mode with Networking. An Internet Connection is required to download the program and its updates. It's pretty small, fast, and effective and will be able to remove threats found.

ESET Online Scanner

Jun 17, 2005
    8. Apr 29, 2009 1:42 PM (in response to gribkov)
    I'm glad you figured it out. Did you McAfee software start working as well after the date change?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)