Hi john.trask, you have to install ePO 5.1 as a new server so it will use its own new fresh database.
When registering another ePO server you have to use the SQL data of the old server so the new ePO server can access data of existing computers but will write anything into its new database
Ok perfect, so when I transfer a computer over to the new server it moves the info to the new DB. Perfect. Thank you very much.
We are looking to do the same, migrate from v4.5 to v5.1 and I wanted to make sure we do it right.
1. Build new v.5.1 ePO Server with new name and new database
2. Import polices from v4.5 to v5.1
3. Connect the two ePO servers
4. Import secuirty keys from 4.5 to 5.1
5. Migrate systems from v4.5 to v5.1
6. The clients will now be managed by the new ePO Server and also using the new database - the new ePo server will have a new name and IP address
Do yourself a Favor: Keep in mind that every encrypted Device with EEPC will loose the Userassignemnt when transferring the Clients. (a new DB for ePO is also a new DB for EEPC where NO Informations are laying in...).
Really painful job when you have mor than a few dozen systems...
Lucky we don't have any enctyted devices at the moment