5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 12:22 PM by sliedl

"Approaching limit on PV entries" in /var/log/messages

PhilM

Can anyone offer a translation of the following:-

Jun  4 17:29:30 mailkernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either thevm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

Jun  4 17:30:30 mailkernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either thevm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

Jun  4 17:31:31 mailkernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either thevm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

Jun  4 17:32:08 mailkernel: maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) andlogin.conf(5).

This isn't one of the Firewalls I normally have direct contact with, but a colleagues generally deals with this customer (but he's away from the office for a few days).

The customer's Firewall is a 4016(?) running 8.3.2P02. The system apparently stopped respoding yesterday evening and only a full power-cycle brought it back up. I've given the system a once-over and can't see any obvious problems (process usage normal, disk capacity OK, etc...). But I have noticed the following in /var/log/messages and wondered if one of the McAfee guys (Sam or Matt?) could translate for me?

Many Thanks.

-Phil.

• 1. Re: "Approaching limit on PV entries" in /var/log/messages

Hello Phil,

I think this thread may help. This problem is usually from sendmail spawning too many processes and "taking over the box".

https://community.mcafee.com/message/246773#246773

-Matt

• 2. Re: "Approaching limit on PV entries" in /var/log/messages

And it looks like we wrote a KB article also that should help: KB75729

-Matt

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: "Approaching limit on PV entries" in /var/log/messages
              PhilM

Thanks Matt - I've been working this problem while you were still catching up on your Zzzz's (timezone difference - I'm not inferring you are lazy ) and between us a colleague and I found this same KB.

Looks like the customer in question has specified an e-mail address for the Firewall to send alerts to and then hasn't made provision for that address on the mail server. As a result the corresponding mqueue directory had over 100,000 files in it.

Trying to flush out this directory, but have told the customer that they need to fix the underlying issue, otherwise it will only come back to haunt them again.

-Phil.

• 4. Re: "Approaching limit on PV entries" in /var/log/messages
                yerkogofes

Hello,

Perhaps a same issue....

My Firewall MFE 4016 has a version 8.3.2 ( and today had reboot (crash 11:45 hrs - up 11:50 hrs).

then  find a crash files and can see this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------

client2:Admn {1} % uptime

2:38PM  up  2:50, 3 users, load averages: 0.13, 0.06, 0.01

client2:Admn {2} % find / -name "vmcore.*" -print

find: /secureos/db/swede: Operation not permitted

find: /secureos/db/swinteg: Operation not permitted

find: /secureos/db/translator: Operation not permitted

/var/log/crash/vmcore.0.gz

find: /vcdrom/dev: Operation not permitted

client2:Admn {3} % cd /var/log/crash

client2:Admn {4} % ll

total 114788

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel secureos/Kern:file         2 Oct 14 11:50 bounds

-rw-------  1 root  wheel secureos/Kern:file       392 Oct 14 11:50 info.0

-rw-------  1 root  wheel  secureos/Adsk:file 117452482 Oct 14 11:50 vmcore.0.gz

clienti2:Admn {5} % cf package list

Local Packages

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

CommandCenter Management Version: 8.3.2.CC.5.3.2.01.01

What When Status     Description

================= ================== ========== =======================================================

1. 8.3.0 21-Aug-14 18:04    obsolete   McAfee Firewall Enterprise 8.3.0 Show Value
                2. 8.3.1 21-Aug-14 18:26    obsolete   McAfee Firewall Enterprise 8.3.1 IPv6 Management and General Maintenance
                3. 8.3.2 21-Aug-14 18:33    installed  McAfee Firewall Enterprise 8.3.2 Read-Only Admin, EIA 2.0 Support, and General Maintenance

when i check the vmcore0 file this is a output:

sinacofi2:Admn {6} % gzcat vmcore.0.gz | more

minidump FreeBSD/amd64^^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@max sysctl.

Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

If anybody can explain to me , if this issue its a same issue ?

this is a cause to reboot to my MFE?

thanks.

Yerko M.

• 5. Re: "Approaching limit on PV entries" in /var/log/messages
                  sliedl

Yes, it's probably the same issue that the KB article mentioned above fixes.

You should also install 8.3.2P03 and P04 to get to the latest code-release, as there are other fixes in those patches that you need to take advantage of.  It's in your best-business-interest to always be at the latest version of the firewall code.