2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 3:21 AM by philiprey

What happens to other nodes in a central mgmt when the director node is shut down

philiprey

Hi All,

Never tried it before, but what happens to the other nodes when the director node (the web gateway I used to add the other web gateway servers in the central mgmt) is shut down or unreachable.

All the MWGs have the same priority.

Regards,

philiprey

• 1. Re: What happens to other nodes in a central mgmt when the director node is shut down
          andyclements

For policy and updates, in MWG 7 there is no one director node.  All appliances can be used to update policy or manage the cluster.  If one should fail, the others will continue to process traffic and distribute rules as they previously had.  There is a good document from support here that describes how central management works in much better terms than I can.

If you are talking about the traffic handling methods, ProxyHA can have higher or lower priorities, so that another node can take the traffic should one become unavilable.  If they are all at the same priority, it will be done somewhat randomly.  Other HA modes (WCCP, transparent router, transparent bridge) have their own methods, but are just as effictive.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What happens to other nodes in a central mgmt when the director node is shut down
            philiprey

Thanks Andy. At least that clarified my thoughts about central management.

The reason I wondered on that is because I only see the backup/restore option on one of the servers.

Figures that this option comes with which web gateway I am accessing I guess.