7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 4:14 AM by aroopvsimon

Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server

fho

Hi There

Maybe anybody can help me with this. We have a ePo 4.6 what is managing about 500 systems and a brand new ePo 5.1. I have no possibility to connect (register) the old and the new ePo together for the system transfer. We have installed Agent 4.6, VSE 8.8 and HIP on the managed systems.

Now the plan is to let the managed systems connect to the new server and get the new policies from there. All the entries i found here have the plan to register both ePo servers.

I'm not sure if it will work to just install the Agent of the new ePo on the managed systems - i cant imagine that.

Does anybody have a idea here?

Thanks for your help

Fabian

• 2. Re: Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server
          fuzziest

fho,

You can generate an Agent install package on your new ePO server and run the install on all your clients.

That is one option.

Another option is to add your new ePO server under the "Registered Servers" on your old ePO server.

Then use the Transfer Agent option which tells the agents to report to the new ePO server.

Then once your clients are checking into your new ePO server, you can upgrade whatever packages you need to upgrade.

Whichever method you choose, make sure that you have all your policies in place.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server
            alhaawi

if your systems are part of AD you can use ePO 5.1 to deply the agent with force installation usaing domain admin as follows

deploy.PNG

• 4. Re: Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server
              madnan

U said 500 Clients means all will be on Domain. Secondly U said u cannot connect to old server.

Is the new ePO is connected to the same domain or netowrk if the answer is yes then u can deploy the agent from new ePo to the old clients.

Push the agent to client systems by following these steps:

a Click Menu | Systems | System Tree.

b Select the target systems or groups.

c  Click Actions, select Agent from the pop-up menu, then select Deploy Agents from the submenu. The Deploy McAfee Agent page appears.

d Select the version of the agent to be deployed.

e If needed, select installation options:

Install only on systems that do not already have an agent managed by this ePO server

Force installation over existing version(Not recommended)

f    Define the installation path for the agent: select a prefix from the drop-down menu, then accept the folder name that appears or type a new one.

g Type valid credentials in the Domain, User name, and Password fields.

h Click OK.

I hope this will Help you.

• 5. Re: Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server
                cupajotogo

Hello fho,

If faced with this scenario, there would be a couple of factors I would want to consider. First, what version of the McAfee Agent are you running on all those 500 endpoints? If some or all of them are on an older verion of the agent this is your opportunity to upgrade. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. The other advantage of installing fresh new installs is that this often corrects errors/corruption/issues with already installed agents. This is my favorite option.

The other options mentioned above all work as well. They are your choice if you don't want to touch all the endpoints with an install... especially if they have the latest version of the McAfee Agent and are generally issue-less.

fuzziest  made the great point to make sure your policies are in place on your new server. I would add "Client Tasks" to that suggestion as well as Server Tasks...

A good strategy moving forward. Migrate one or two systems at a time from varying System Tree groups from one ePO to the other and verify policies and tasks, agent communication and policy enforcement, etc... Then, proceed with the rest. You never know.

Cheers,

cupajotogo

• 6. Re: Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server
                  fho

Hi

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I have tested it in my lab, and it seems to work to just deploy a agent created by the new server.

I have a script what starts the installation of the new agent, and forces the agent to communicate to the server.

Thanks again

fho

• 7. Re: Transfering systems to a new epo 5 without registering it to the old server
                    aroopvsimon

Hi fho and Everybody - I have a scenario that is very similar to yours, only difference being that the EPO server will be moving to a new DOMAIN.

The new EPO server will be re-built with new version of ePO (4.6.6) and on a new domain with One-Way trust relationship.

My question now is - The enpoints which were on older domain will be required to access new ePO server on new domain. What is the best way to make this happen efficiently?

fho - Can you share that script please