1 Reply Latest reply on May 30, 2014 2:41 PM by cupajotogo

svchost.exe WRITE_DENIED event

infosecadmin

Hi,  this event is repeatedly being generated on a single endpoint daily.

Event Display Name File Write Denied

Event File Name C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb

Event Id 20719

Event Name WRITE_DENIED

Event Seq No 283,127

Generated by an Updater No

Generated in an Update Window No

Object Name C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb

Performed By NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Process ID 1892

Program Name C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Reason McAfee Application Control prevented an attempt to modify this file because this file is whitelisted. To make changes to whitelisted files, define a policy with the relevant rules.

User Name NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Any thoughts on how to eliminate something like this that's only impacting 1 of thousands of devices?  Rebuilding the machine is not an option.

ePO v4.6

MAC v6.1.0.662

Win7

Thanks in advance!

lcs

• 1. Re: svchost.exe WRITE_DENIED event
          cupajotogo

Hi infosecadmin,

Is this there an impact on the endpoint? It could be you just need to filter this event and ignore it. Also, is this file, catdb, located on those other 1000 machines you mention? It could be malicious adn App Control is doing exactly what it's suppsoed to be doing. If you know this file is safe and should be trying to do what it is doing you could just put the system in Update Mode and resolidify the drive. One thing I have run into that is supposed to be fixed with version 6 I believe (which I see you have), is if you make a change to a program that is currently running in memory a service restart or a reboot is necessary for App Control's MP (memory protection) to kick in. Good luck!

Cheers,

cupajotogo