1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2014 8:24 AM by sroering

Content Security Reporter: MySQL or MSSQL

jebotha

Hi All

Not sure whether I am posting in the right section here, but I would like to know what the preferred database is to use when installing CSR. I am hoping someone can answer this from an experience perspective (i.e. why they would recommend rather using MSSQL than the native MySQL or vice versa)

Is there a list of pro's and cons out there for using either of these databases with CSR. ePO uses MSSQL so I would think to keep things standard would be a good idea. Is someone able to commend on the above with regards to:

• the performance perspective (I know they recommend running the CSR database on a physical appliance rather than a VM, but does that apply to when using MSSQL Server as well?)
      • with regards to future CSR / Web Reporter developments e.g., rather stick to one rather than the other?
      • if using MSSQL, is it fine to use place the DB on an MSSQL server hosting many other databases including ePO? Or is that a performance no-no for CSR?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Content Security Reporter: MySQL or MSSQL
          sroering

Hello,

Yes, you are in the right place.  To answer your question, it would depend on how much data you intend to import.  If you only intend to stay less than a billion detailed records or under 500 GB, then either should be fine.  If you are going to go higher, then I would encourage you to use Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise with our DB partitioning enabled.

Yes, there are pros and cons to both, but the only ones that make a difference are regards to scaling.

MySQL pros: 

• cheap
          • relativly fast

MySQL cons:

• Doesn't scale above 500 GB well.
          • Requires equal ammount of free disk space to DB size. This is because reindexing and defragmenting of the data files effectively copies data in the existing tables to new files.  This is a limitation of the MyISAM storage engine.

MS SQL pros:

• Scales great
          • Doesn't have free disk space limitations as MySQL

MS SQL cons:

• Cost