Ok several questions
1. You mention your father has Mcafee enterprise amd you setup the program. I assume you mean you installed Mcafee virusscan plus consumer version not the coroprate enterprise version?
2. When you uninstalled avast did you remove it use its own removal program? It sounds as if avast has bits left I would remove Mcafee as per the removal steps in my Signature and run the avast removal tool.
Reboot and run
and reinstall from your account
I am running Mcafee all access on an e6600 dual core and 2gb ram old 5400 hard disk so your setup should be fine.
Two other things are
1. Are you running thunderbird it has issues with Mcafee and there is a workaround
2. I disabled indexing as mcafee scanning the indexing when the PC starts this can slow down things a lot for several minutes but all in all I would say avast has not been fully removed
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Tony's solution but it doesn't help. The computer still lags like crazy. I think it has something to do with Windows 8's built in AV-Windows defender AKA Microsoft Security Essentials.
Any idea how to disable it? Or should I just contact technical support?
Oh and I am using the consumer version of Mcafee. Antivirus Plus
Simply installing McAfee should have disabled it automatically but here is how to disable it if it didn't happen that way.
It must be disabled for McAfee to function correctly.
Please confirm whether disabling Real Time Scanning brings Performance to normal or you face slowdowns when RTS is turned OFF. It would be more helpful if you could post the data I request below.
1. Press WIN + R to open the Run dialogue
2. Type msinfo32 and click OK
3. You will now see the System Information console. Wait for texts to load on the right pane.
4. Click on File > Export and give a name as you wish (File type will be text ) , save it to the desktop. (Wait until it processes completely)
5. Now attach this text file in your reply here for so as to proceed further.
Post back for Clarifications..!
Disabling Real Time Scanning improves performance a little bit. However, lag is still present. Even when I watch a Youtube video, the video slows down so much it's like listening to robotic voices in slo mo.
I have attatched the msinfo in this post.
msinfo.txt.zip 213.6 K
Open action centre is anything interesting shown?
I assume you tried Peter's and my avast and MSE removal/disabling methods?
Action centre is all normal. And yes I tried the Avast and MSE removal/disabling methods.
Thank you for helping me
Turning off RTS means you aren't protected at all don't forget.
While awaiting selvan's suggestions re the msinfo32 file you attached maybe and this a long shot is to uninstall Mcafee full as per the link in my signature and see if issue clears up.
and reinstall from your account.
It is possible the install was corrupted. I would also when Mcafee removed rerun the avast tool.