1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2014 12:04 PM by Peter M

My experience with McAfee.

i_dont_like_your_software

Mcafee security scan plus was covertly installed on my system via a recent flash update.

Once I realised my mistake I headed to programs and features in Win 7 to uninstall.

But unlike all other software - it was not listed in the programs list - (Please see attached image)

So I head to google to find out how to remove.

I hear about "McAfee Software removal tool" download and run.

BUT first screen "Before proceeding, please ensure you have uninstalled all McAfee products through Add/Remove programs"

Ohhh but I cant do that - again please see attached image.

So angry and desperate I head to the install folder and delete all McAfee folders.

5 mins later Blue screen lof death.

Big waste of time, and still not sure if this rubbish is off my computer.

Needless to say. Because of this awful experience I will NEVER EVER use McAfee products.

• 1. Re: My experience with McAfee.
          Peter M

Moved this from Community Help to General Discussion.

Sorry you were inconvenienced by Security Scan Plus which is merely a utility to check if you need security software and installs as an optional extra with such things as Adobe products (Flash, Shockwave, Reader etc.) & some other products.  When updating and/or downloading anything at all, you should always watch for optional extras, especially toolbars, that are always checked until you uncheck them yourself, otherwise you'll end up with all sorts of "extras".  That's how Adobe manages to keep some of  their software free for your enjoyment.   Other downloads can load malware in the same manner so always keep your eyes open for them.

I have actually downloaded it myself on occasion and it has always been listed in Programs and is easily removed.  Did you try a reboot first before going to all that extra trouble?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/05/14 7:03:25 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: My experience with McAfee.

I always try to check that extra software is not installed on my system, but this time I was not vigilant enough.

Yes I rebooted before I tried to remove, in fact because I was busy I  had to wait a few days.

Why was it not listed in the programs list?

Please tell me how I can fully remove this from my system.

• 3. Re: My experience with McAfee.
              Peter M

I have no idea why it wasn't listed in your programs list.  But as an exercise I just downloaded and installed and even updated it to make sure.  It's certainly listed in Mine but I'm using Vista.

Capture.JPG

In Program Files (on a 64-bit machine Program Files (x86) it will install in a folder labelled McAfee Security Scan and inside that folder there is an uninstaller.

See C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee Security Scan fir a McAfee icon labelled Uninstall and that should uninstall it.

• 4. Re: My experience with McAfee.

Before I deleted the entire folder I tried the unintsall link via "All Programs" list  via start (not 'Programs and Features' via control panel) - but it generated an error "this shortcut refers to a location that does not exist" - or something like that.

So, when that failed I went to the program source folder and tried to run what seemed like the uninstller .exe file. But it did not work.

then as a last ditch effort as mentioned above I just deleted the whole folder instead.

But I am not convinced that the software is entirley removed, what with registry entries and such.

Please tell me how to remove the software entirely.

• 5. Re: My experience with McAfee.
                  Peter M

I guess it didn't install properly or something was interfering with it, I guess we'll never know.

You could try running the MCPR cleanup tool ans rbeoot immediately it finishes.

There is a very long and laborious registry cleanup method of ridding you of every vestige of McAfee, I can post that if you wish. .

• 7. Re: My experience with McAfee.

As mentioned previously I have already tried mcpr

I hear about "McAfee Software removal tool" download and run.

BUT first screen "Before proceeding, please ensure you have uninstalled all McAfee products through Add/Remove programs"

Ohhh but I cant do that - again please see attached image.

but I will try it once more.

• 8. Re: My experience with McAfee.
                      Peter M

Disregard that screen.

• 9. Re: My experience with McAfee.
                        Peter M

Here's the long method:

The  regedit  procedure can be done offline if you wish.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page  should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-9-62438/276-201/regedit.JPG

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were oroginally installed and the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links at top of this page) didn't work for some reason.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        1 2 Previous Next