1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2014 7:11 PM by shbumpkin

McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?

shbumpkin

I recently posted about a problem I was having with my McAfee Antivirus plus

It would udate over and over again.

Then shortly after, it would have the warning that my computer was at risk.

Still having this problem.

Last night I was told by a tech that McAfee did ot work correctly with satellite. Since that is the only thing that is in my area, I would like to know why no one else has mentioned it.

I would like some feedback on this subject.

• 1. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
          Peter M

Unless another satellite user comments you may find little help here.   You should prehaps be escalating your ticket with Technical Support.

Off the top of my head all I can think of is that perhaps due to the nature of the connection, the update server is not "handshaking" properly with the software on your machine

and thereby causing the original issue.   The only way to troubleshoot it is through direct contact with Technical Support which is free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
            shbumpkin

I have been on chats with techs four times over this issue. This last tech said "Mcafee has issues with satellite connection"
            Then went on to tell me over and over again to use DSL Cable or wireless even though  I told them I do not have access to any of these.

Then she told me "McAfee will not update with satellite connection."

None of the other three techs have mentioned that satellite has issues with McAfee

So what am I suppose to do? No one wants to take me to the next tier for help.
            So I am paying for something I cannnot use?

She sure did not give me hope.

I would like to talk to a manager but seems that it impossible.

• 3. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
              Peter M

Interesting but not a very good solution for you I must admit.  I will bring this up at our next Conference Call with McAfee and suggest either they sort out the problem or stipulate on the product pages that satellite connections are not supported.

At the moment all they say is "High-speed connection recommended".

• 4. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
                shbumpkin

I have been with McAfee ever since I bought my first computer back in the year 2000, I think.

The names of the techs that I have talked to most are unpronouncable even though the chats are legible.

Of course, they all go by script.

Someone needs to address this issue.

I will have to look for another anti-virus program. I cannot go unprotected.

In your conference call  feel free to give them my email address so that they can contact me. I would love to talk to a real supervisor.

• 5. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
                  Peter M

I can alert my contacts in support to this thread to, so expect someone to post here...I hope ;-)

• 6. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
                    shbumpkin

Thank you. I will keep checking back in.

• 7. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
                      selvan

Hi shbumpkin,

Sorry for the Inconvenience caused. Please post back the Service Request number that you received from the Support Representative here for me to look into. Meanwhile I will gather information about McAfee 's Suitability on Satellite Internet connections.

• 8. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
                        shbumpkin

This is the number I was given for the chat that I had last night. #1485636243   chat #226835231

It is the one that I was told i needed to change my internet provider as satellite was not letting McAfee update.

I also had previous chats on same issues.

The first one on 4/19/2014 was chat number   #225456701 I had deleted that SR after I thought it was working

then 4/27/2014 was SR1476307904

I was given a number that from the escalation people that told me to use the reference #1477831877 to move up the chain for a senior level tech but that one told me that I did not need to do that.

This is the chat number for that one.

On 5/01/2014 SR 1479498285    #226260726

I had been on McAfee forum before about this issue and it was closed when I thought it was finished. There may be a number on that.

I hope the numbers are what you are looking for.

• 9. Re: McAfee not compatible with satellite internet?
                          shbumpkin

I have not heard back from anyone on my situation.

I contacted my internet provider and they say everything is fine from their part and there should not be any problems with updating automatically. There was also a man there that said he had McAfee and Exede for two years and never had an issue with it updating.

Is this still being looked into?

1 2 Previous Next