6 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2014 6:44 AM by bluefish RSS

Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?

bluefish

Hello all. I'm relatively new at using ePO so forgive me for my ignorance. I have searched and searched and can't find a solution for my particular issue although, I have found solutions for other issues unintentionally!

So I have a test group and have the HIPS 8 patch and hotfix checked in to my master repository under the evaluation branch. I created a policy and assigned my policy to my test group. My policy specifies to pull updates from the evaluation branch for HIPS patches, service packs, and content.

My test group is getting the HIPS 8 patch but not the hotfix. Is there a way to create a client task just for the hotfix in ePO 4.6?

I also had a test group for VSE 8.8 patch and hotfix setup the same way (pulling from the evaluation branch) and that one installed the patch and hotfix fine.

• 1. Re: Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?
          rackroyd

You'd need to check with the Hips people about that rather than ePO. The behaviour seems product-specific.

Moved to Hips group.

Message was edited by: rackroyd on 08/05/14 16:12:34 IST
          • 2. Re: Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?
            bluefish

Thank you. I actually just got it working. I deleted the patch and hotfix from the master repository and started over. I was able to create an update task pulling the newly installed patch and hotfix from the eval branch. It installed successfully on my test machines without issue.

• 3. Re: Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?
              Kary Tankink
              My test group is getting the HIPS 8 patch but not the hotfix. Is there a way to create a client task just for the hotfix in ePO 4.6?

There is not.  Patches and hotfixes (for any product) are treated the same in regards to update tasks.  There is (usually) no different ePO procedure when applying a HIPS hotfix vs. VSE hotfix.

One thing to remember is that some hotfixes require specific versions of Patches to be in the repository (sometimes hotfixes require other hotfixes to be installed; it happened with the HIPS 8.0 P2 -> HF803520 -> HF843301).  The hotfix won't apply unless the client is on a specific version of the product; it also won't apply if the cilent is on a higher version of the product.

Message was edited by: ktankink on 5/8/14 10:55:56 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?
                bluefish

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Let me see if I'm understanding this right. Let's say I keep this test group for future testing (pulling from the eval branch). If I were to check in a new hotfix and have it in the eval branch, it would then apply that hotfix to the machines in said test group?

• 5. Re: Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?
                  Kary Tankink

Let me see if I'm understanding this right. Let's say I keep this test group for future testing (pulling from the eval branch). If I were to check in a new hotfix and have it in the eval branch, it would then apply that hotfix to the machines in said test group?
                  Correct.  The only systems that would be able to pull a product patch/hotfix from the Eval branch, are those systems that have the McAfee Agent policy set to pull that product's updates from the Eval branch.  The patch/hotfix can be deployed through several different types of (selective and non-selective) updates tasks, which can be ran automatically (e.g., Global updating) or manually (create Update task within ePO console, or locally run the Update Now task on the client). 

• 6. Re: Client task for HIPS 8 Hotfix in ePO 4.6?
                    bluefish

Great. Thank you for your time and help!