5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 12:55 PM by JoeBidgood

How can agents behind a RelayServer be assigned tasks?

dancd2l

I haven't had any luck with getting tasks to execute on agents who are only able to connect to ePO (5.1) via a RelayServer.  I've tried setting the task timeout to be several times the ASCI interval, but it seems that the task is never retrieved upon the next agent ASCI.

How can agents accessible only via the RelayServer be assigned tasks?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How can agents behind a RelayServer be assigned tasks?
          JoeBidgood

Tasks are assigned and picked up in the same way that policies are, so if the machines behind the relay agents are picking up policies then they should be picking up tasks as well.

What sort of tasks are we talking about?

Thanks -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can agents behind a RelayServer be assigned tasks?
            dancd2l

Thanks for the quick reply, Joe.

The task was to deploy the MOVE Offload Scan Server component.  VSE and the MOVE Client will need to be deployed to these remote endpoints as well.  I'm trying to minimize the number of product deployments I have to do "offline" to just the Agent.

In future I'd like to be able to also set tasks to run one-off On-Demand scans for select endpoints.

• 3. Re: How can agents behind a RelayServer be assigned tasks?
              JoeBidgood

OK, tasks like that should definitely be getting there. I assume policies are being applied to these machines correctly? To check, create a new policy object with a trivial change - for example an agent policy with a server communication interval of two hours if your default is one - then apply it to the machines and check that it is applied correctly.

Assuming it is, try creating a simple agent update task and assign it to these machines. (Configure the task to be disabled if you don't want it to run.)  Then when the client has next communicated, check the machine and see if the task has arrived. (You can either check the agent log for entries like "Task <taskname> added" or you can check the ini files in the agent's Tasks folder - open them in a text editor and check for the task name.)

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: How can agents behind a RelayServer be assigned tasks?
                dancd2l

Policies are applied upon ASCI, I've confirmed as you had suggested.

I'm testing now with "Run Client Task Now" as this is what I was trying before, not an Assigned Task.  I hadn't considered the delivery mechanism would be different but perhaps it is?  A Run Now task seems to be a push via an Agent Handler (none which can reach the agent in question).  I'm thinking it's an Assigned Task that's pulled on ASCI?  I set a Task with a Schedule Type of Once, and a close start time to mimic the Run Client Task Now behaviour, and it was pulled down at the next ASCI and the Task folder was populated with the task info.

So it looks like an Assigned Task will make it down, but a Run Now Task won't.  Correct?

• 5. Re: How can agents behind a RelayServer be assigned tasks?
                  JoeBidgood

Ah, I was wondering if that was the case

You're correct: a "Run Task Now" operation is a very different beast - it's invoked from the server end, and involves the server or an agent handler being able to reach the client. It won't work with relay servers.

An assigned task is created in the DB and pulled down by the client on the next ASC, in the same way as a policy, so this will work with relay servers.

Regards -

Joe