6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 8:46 AM by PhilR

ePO upgrade from 4.6.4 to 5.1 - my steps

pierce

Hi All,

Just upgraded my ePO 4.6.4 to 5.1 thought it handy to include everything I did (I did need to call support...)

Pre steps:

The installer will tell you if your database has tables with more than a million events, these need to be cleaned up!

Clean up old systems

Run compatability test from the installer zip to check all your software is up to date, or can be updated during the process.

Patch windows(never miss an opportunity to patch windows)

Our existing environment was already windows 2008 R2 for App and 2008R2 for SQL so no OS stuff or SQL stuff needed to be changed.

TAKE A BACKUP!

This is important, our first attempt failed and left our ePO in a broken state, lucky we had a dB backup and snapshot of the server to restore to in less than 20 minutes.

I had also followed the various steps you see around downloading all policies, keys, computers, tasks and everything else you can find.

Before starting upgrade

you have a backup right?

Disable agent handler (we turned ours off to make sure after disabling it via the GUI)

Email teams to tell them to stay out of the system.

Disable any monitoring/SIEM's or anything else touching or checking the dB.

Restart all the mcafee services (cleans out any junk or users)

Ensure that the registry key for 8dot3 naming is still disabled ( located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem - NtfsDisable8dot3namecreating - should be 0) - This caused our first install to fail, McAfee support checked logs and found issue. 2nd attempt worked first time.

Run the installer - took around an hour.

Once all up and running:

Deploy hearbleed fix

Install latest hotfix

Re-enable everything your turned off (monitoring, database monitoring, SIEM's etc...)

Email users that they can use the system

Check everything and then do the same with your agent handler, install 5.1, heartbleed and hotfix.

And done and celebrate!