1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 2:23 PM by exelinguy

Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation

exelinguy

I purchased a second hand laptop that is now getting locked by Intel AT with the error message: Disable Timer Expired. My case has been with the Intel AT Service since the past 2 weeks and there is still no resolution. My case is apparently being researched by Tier 2.5 support for the last 8 days. There is no way to escalate my case.

I would grately appreciate it if somebody from the support team could simply move my email address to the previous owner's email address, install AT software on my pc, resynchronize the computer, remove my system from Intel AT and uninstall the software. The following are a few of my case numbers:

Other details:

Platform ID: 0000D475

Service provider ID: 5000

Please see attached screenshot of esu.

I have seen very favorable response on this forum and am hoping that the support here will come to my rescue. Please let me know if any other info is needed. I am in EDT timezone. Thank you.

Message was edited by: exelinguy on 4/30/14 9:15:29 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
          Peacekeeper

Pinged someone to help He might be a day or so depending on work schedule

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
            exelinguy

Thank you very much Peacekeeper. Looking forward to hearing from someone.

• 3. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation

As far as I know, this would require you to supply proof of ownership for the device, and for the previous owner to agree to the change - switching the owner of a laptop is a serious buisiness for us, as this is exactly the thing people who steal laptops ask us to do.

So, it may be faster for you to work with the original owner of the device directly and get them to deregister from their side.

I expect you understand that, as this is a security feature, changing ownership is not something we do without considerable due dilligence, much like asking Apple to reset the password on a locked iPad is also difficult (or, actually, impossible now without the original itunes account details).

• 4. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
                exelinguy

SafeBoot,

I have already sent my proof of purchase (POP) to the support team in India and they have accepted it. That is how I have such a large number of cases with them. Working with the previous owner doesn't make sense because I got this laptop over EBay. Also note that the subscription on the previous owner's account has expired. Does this mean that the service is provided free of cost?

I understand that due dilligence is needed but it defintely should not take 30 days to solve a straightforward case like mine. I can send the POP to support again as needed. What's more, there is no accountability, no update on the progress being made by tier 2.5 and no way to escalate my case for a speedy resolution.

Oh and not to mention the lack of clear ownership between McAfee and Intel in the eyes of customers. I would like to file a BBB complaint but I don't know if it should be addressed to Intel or McAfee.

Message was edited by: exelinguy on 5/1/14 11:58:09 AM CDT

Message was edited by: exelinguy on 5/1/14 11:59:05 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
                  selvan

Hi Harsha,

Will post back with detailed summary of your case. Give me some time..!

Regards

• 6. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
                    exelinguy

Thank you very  very much Chinthanai! Great to hear from you, finally.

• 7. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
                      selvan

Hi Harsha,

First of all I would like to inform you that this case is still with Tier 2 Technicians and it is in discussion with Tier 2.5. I would disagree with the statement that there is no response from Tier 2.5.

Secondly You had purchased this PC from the original owner which in turn makes us re-consider assistance because McAfee Anti Theft's sole purpose is to keep PC in Safe hands. Fortunately you have the POP from original owner which makes it easier to proceed further.

The next complication in your case is with the Email account with which the product is subscribed to. Obviously the Laptop has been enrolled to the services with old owner's Email account. We will not be able to transfer the Subscription from original owner's to yours without written permission from original owner.

Further the Anti-theft account of original owner's have been expired. Am sure that you are aware of EOL for Anti theft. Owing to these we need special permissions for Re-activating the Subscription and Re-enrolling the Device.

The Final complication is that you Refreshed your PC which will remove the Anti-theft client (Software)  from PC making it impossible to syncronize with Backend Servers. We need to download a fresh copy of AT software and install it for syncing and un-enrolling. Please be informed that Anti theft can lock from BIOS level and performing a Refresh / Reset / OSRI will not help.

The Service Requests which you posted contains mainly Status Updates where you have been informed that issue is under Research. Only one of the Service Request is owned by Tier 2 agent.

We here in Tier 2.5 needs to sort all these above said complications and help you Un-enroll the service which will buy time (Of course). So requesting your Patience and co-operation in proceeding further.

Will post back whether you need to contact the original owner for transferring the Subscription to your Email account (Harsha's).

• 8. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation
                        exelinguy

Chinthanai,

I appreciate you taking the time to document what is going on.

You are the first tier 2.5 support person I have had any contact with. So from my point of view, this is the first time I have heard back from tier 2.5.

I understand that we are in EOL for Intel AT, that too for a good reason; it's a terrible product. I also understand that the subscription for previous owner's email address has EXPIRED as you point out. I still don't understand why you need his written permission. I have the POP and his account has expired, forget reconsideration of support. There seems to be a huge process gap here and I am sure I am not the only victim.

Yes, I had to refresh it to use it. I find it a bit unsettling that Intel AT support does not have access to its own Intel AT software. As part of EOL, support is to be provided till February 2015 if I am not mistaken. You said you need special permission. From who do you need this permission? Let me present my case to the relevant authority and help you get this permission.

In the end of the day it does not matter to me or any of us customers on this forum as to how many of our cases are with what particular tier. The matter of fact is that I am unable to use a product I purchased because of poor support on the Intel AT product which is supposed to be a feature of my product. Are you asking to call back and get more cases on to tier 2? Will that help my case?

Chinthanai, you ask me to be patient and co-operate. I have given Intel AT ~30 days to resolve my case. I am willing to do whatever is needed from my side. Please let me know. Thank you very much for your time and support.

Message was edited by: exelinguy on 5/1/14 2:14:23 PM CDT
                        • 9. Re: Not getting any response from Tier 2.5 Support - Unable to remove Intel AT even though refreshed Windows 8 installation

Please be patient and remember that your proof of ownership needs to be verified before we can take action - people regularly present us with bogus receipts etc claiming ownership of stolen devices.

You are asking us to activate some software which you did not purchase (it was purchased by the original owner), and override settings they placed on their laptop.

It's not as simple as you think, and unfortunately regardless of the facts of your situation, is following exactly the same path that device thieves take.

To find someone who has purchased a used laptop, where the original owner left their security software enabled and running is very rare.

I am sure Chinthanai will deal with this as his process allows, and I am sure you appreciate and value the checks and balances we go through to assure that we only assist legitimate owners of devices.

1 2 3 Previous Next