9 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 8:16 AM by kimberlynnh

Lenovo L540 dock behavior

kimberlynnh

Has anyone experieced this: when docked, and the laptop lid closed, the external display does not come up on boot for Lenovo L540. You have to open the lid, type in credentials and then you can close the lid. all bios settings have been checked, BIOS, microsoft and dock firmware updated.  The machines do behave correctly before encryption software installed.

the L530, with encryption installed, works as you would expect - put closed laptop on dock press start button and mcafee login screen comes up on the external monitore.

I've done some web searches and lenovo and Mcafee site searches - no mention of this problem.  We are going to upgrade the encryption software on one machine to see if it fixes it.  Also interested if there was another fix.

• 1. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior

hardware problems like this are usually BIOS/Firmware related - nothing to do with Software. I am guessing that the BIOS does not correctly mirror the screen by default.

With this L540 - does the bios starting message etc come up on the external display at all? If not, it's for sure a hardware problem.

• 2. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior
            kimberlynnh

I don't see how you reached your conclusion.

BEFORE encryption is installed -  when docked, with lid closed, on boot, external monitor display comes up,

AFTER encryption is installed - when docked, with lid closed, on boot, external monitor display does not come up, . Lid must be opened, encryption credentials entered and then lid can be closed and external monitor works.

I have double-checked BIOS settings.

We are in the process of upgrading to the latest version of encryption software.

• 3. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior

Because, EEPC does not have any control over the hardware boot process of the machine - EEPC is software, so it comes after any firmware load.

Usually you turn a machine on, you get the POST messages etc, then the OS starts. EEPC becomes the OS on an encrypted machine.

So, EEPC has no influence on the joint monitor display prior to it's starting. if the POST messages display on both screens without EEPC, they will display on both screens with.

What I imagine is that for this particular model, the POST messages don't display on both screens?

Also, the fact you've proven that it works fine with other models of laptop just goes further to prove this is a laptop specific problem, since EEPC is software and behaves the same regardless.

I think you are right in upgrading - you posted in the EEM managed group which means the latest version you could be using is 5.2.13 which was due to go EOL last month - You may find it works fine with a more current version which was designed for more modern platforms.

• 4. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior
                kimberlynnh

thank you for the explanation. I'll let you know if the software upgrade makes a difference.

• 5. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior
                  kimberlynnh

Unfortunately, the MEE upgrade didn't fix the problem.

one other interesting behavior - With machine docked, I attached a VGA monitor directly to the laptop -  the external display does come up on boot

• 6. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior

What version did you upgrade to?

I think as you have discovered this is a problem with the laptop unfortunately.

• 7. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior
                      kimberlynnh

v.  5.2.13.26

yes, I have sent this to Lenovo

• 8. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior

Ah - you need to upgrade to a newer version - you're using a 10 year old product. You need to be working with 7.1 now.

• 9. Re: Lenovo L540 dock behavior
                          kimberlynnh

upgrading the Lenovo L540 to BIOS v1.62 fixed the problem.