For ftp retrieval of files the fields should be filled out as follows:
- IP Address - IP Address of the system where the files are. The receiver will initiate the ftp connection to this address
- Path: The path on the server where the files are stored. For example /var/log/
- Wildcard Expression: This is the name of the file to be retrieved with any possible wildcards.
- For example if you wanted to retrieve /var/log/messages and process it you would simply enter messages in the box. This will retrieve the var/log/messages file each time.
- If the file to be retrieved was mylogfile_04_16_2014.log you would enter a wildcard expression to match the file, something like mylogfile_*.log if the file name changes
- Username / password - credentials to access the server and retrieve the file.
Also verify that an ftp service is running on the box. You can ssh to the receiver and from the command line attempt to initiate the ftp connection from the command line to the host. and see if a file can be retrieved. We use the curl command to do this, so once you ssh into the receiver run something like this 'curl -u ftpusername:ftppassword -O ftp://ftp_server/path/file/'. If you are intrested you can find some samples of cURL (curl) syntax here: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/04/curl-examples/