6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 7:46 AM by ramil

How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?

ramil

Hello

I have ePo 5.1 + SQL 2012 Express in DMZ and I need agents that never or very very rarely get to an office which is in internal VPN network.

I have holes in FW for this service (80,443), but I have to make agents somehow to try to connect to ePo external IP if internal fails.

How can I get others to connect without installing additional AH server ?

• 1. Re: How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?
          Namster

you would have to do two things:

1. create a fqdn on the internet that points to the ip address of the epo server in the DMZ

2. update the "published" dns name for the ePO server entry under the agent handler menu to match the FQDN.

This will cause ePO to advertise the fqdn name to the clients.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?
            ramil

Thanks, I will try that.

---edit---

My McAfee isn't connected to AD. We, at this point, don't have Microsoft infrastrcture at all. But I guess a DNS name in our DNS server will also do ?

Problem is that ePo sees its server address as host name. So my its server name is say myhost and server dnsname is also myhost.

I've looked in several files in ePo directory where dnsname is mentioned, changed them, but no luck. After service/server restart, dnsname is back from myhost.mydomain.tld to myhost.

Message was edited by: ramil on 4/14/14 6:02:25 PM EEST
            • 3. Re: How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?
              Namster

For DNS, I was referring to the public dns. For example if your company is called acme.com , maybe you can setup a subdomain called coyote.acme.com on the internet, and then associate an ip address to that fqdn that points to your epo server.

Then on your epo server, navigate to the "agent handler" menu and locate the entry for the ePO server and edit the "published name" to match the dns name coyote.acme.com

• 4. Re: How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?
                ramil

Thanks alot, I got it working. Have to redeploy agents to external users now.

• 5. Re: How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?
                  dexterrivera

Glad to see you got this working.  I want to do the same and am having trouble finding an article on steps in the knowledge base.  Do you have a link you can share?  Thanks.

• 6. Re: How to get external agents to connect to ePo ?
                    ramil

dexterrivera, I did exactly as Namster suggested.

First you need a DNS record for your server in your DNS server.

Go to, in Epo, Menu - Agent Handlers - Select your Agent Handler NOT handler rule - populate its fields with correct information.

You should also set correct handler or select All handlers whereever possible or you may end up with a problem where clients are unable to connect to your ePo server in DMZ.