3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 5:23 PM by catdaddy

PUP Query

wixey

After running a Quick scan in MBAM it detected one Registry Key PUP called PUP.Optional.Softonic.A

I last ran an MBAM scam two days ago and it detected nothing; the only program I've downloaded recently was the latest version of Audacity (which i've updated a few times in the past and have never had any problems with it) so I assume it's come from there. MBAM removed it without needing a reboot, but I was wondering if I need to run a full scan in McAfee to be sure? I tried scanning the downloaded file with McAfee before installing it and that detected nothing suspicious either.

• 1. Re: PUP Query
          catdaddy

I would first run the Latest Getsusp Tool, and see if there are remaining detections. Please remember to add your Email Address under preferences, before scanning.

Afterwords here is a excellent removal Guide , please follow instructions closely.

http://www.malwaretips.com/blogs/pup-optional-softonic-virus/

This is considered to be a (Pup) but has the characteristics of a "Virus"

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/11/14 3:42:24 PM CDT
          • 2. Re: PUP Query
            wixey

Hi catdaddy, thanks for the advice.

I've just run the Getsusp tool and it found no "suspicious" items; I ran a Full scan as well and that didn't detect anything.

Malwarebytes quarantined and deleted the PUP and a second scan was clean. I'll run a full scan in Malwarebytes tomorrow as it's late now and they usually take quite a while to finish.

• 3. Re: PUP Query
              catdaddy

You,re Welcome

All the Best.....