6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 10:25 AM by gerhard

Installation/activation question

mjflint

I just installed McAffee Anti-virus compliments of Time Warner Cable. During installation I received the expected note to disable the real-time protection in AdAware, and I did so. Now I'm told to turn on the AdAware firewall, except that feature is not  part of the (free) version of AdAware that I have. However, the Windows Firewall appears to be up and running. Why is this not known to the MaAffee program? What else ought I do?

Thank you.

MJFlint

• 1. Re: Installation/activation question
          catdaddy

Hi mjflint,

Please know that having (2) RTS Modules running at the same time, can cause conflicts between both Security Applications. So much so, that it could leave you vulnerable for infections. My advice is to fully remove AdAware from your system/Reboot. If I am not terribly mistaken, AdAware is not compatible with McAfee products anyway.

After doing so, kindly follow the guidelines/instructions in this link to remove and re-install your McAfee products. Then you can go back to your "Timewarner Account" and reinstall.

Here is the link:   http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Being a Timewarner Customer also, I think that it has the "McAfee Pre-Install Tool" included with it,s installation. You may want to run it after the (MCPR) Tool, just before installation of your McAfee Anti-Virus.

Here are some additional superb tools to always keep at hand. Especially "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (Free Only) It is designed to compliment your Anti-Virus and is compatible. (Do not) accept the Free Trial Version, as it contains the RTS Module.  Down load the ( Free) version only.

here is the Link: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

I hope this helped,

Regards

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/11/14 12:16:04 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: Installation/activation question
            k3tg

This is the preinstall tool catdaddy was referring to     http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe

• 3. Re: Installation/activation question
              selvan

Hi MJFlint,

Below are couple of things I need to Add

1. Real Time Protection of AdAware will conflict with McAfee 's RTS resulting in system Instability / Slow down which is not desired. Would suggest to remove AdAware completely for perfect protection against Threats. Please note that having two AntiVirus Apps doesn't double your Security Instead it will cause Instability within the system compromising protection against Malware.

2. Windows Firewall Service is being utilized by McAFee Personal Firewall Service to offer Web and Email Protection. McAFee can be installed with or without Firewall in both cases you will be Protected.

Without McAfee Firewall - Windows FW protects

With McAfee Firewall - McAfee Personal FireWall protects.

Regards

• 4. Re: Installation/activation question
                catdaddy

Thanks for clarifying that AdAware is indeed incompatible with McAfee. It was my understanding that although it formerly was compatible, yet is no longer due to it,s RTS Module. As I stated also , I recommend removing it as well.....since running (2) Anti-Virus Apps definitely will cause system instability.

I remember now....I read Ex_Brit,s information in his "Anti-Spyware/Malware/Anti-Hijacker Tools" Document.

"Ad-Aware Free has been removed as it now contains virus protection and having 2 such entities on your machine can compromise security."

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/11/14 5:04:40 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: Installation/activation question
                  catdaddy

Thanks Tom 

• 6. Re: Installation/activation question
                    gerhard

Ich pfeiff bald auf McAfee! Jedes jahr ist das gleiche! 3 mal muss man die  neue CD instaliern bis es klappt und das in 2 Wochen takt. Ich trage die CD nicht ständig mit mir. das ist nicht sehr lustig.