4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 7:08 PM by catdaddy

Empty History Folder

markiebeau

Hi. Not sure where to post this.

I have noticed an empty History folder on my C drive that every time I delete it, it comes back when I reboot my computer. I don't ever remember seeing it there before. I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 Bit. I recently downloaded and installed the Comodo Ice Dragon browser, but have since uninstalled it as it seemed suspicious to me.

I have run various malware and virus scans and it shows nothing. Any clues?

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 4/6/14 11:17:27 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: Empty History Folder
          Peter M

It does sound very much like a browser-generated folder but could be just about anything.   When you right-click it and go to Properties does that give any clues as to what is generating it?

I don't see such a folder on my 7 OS (or Vista or 8.1 for that matter).

You could try some more anti-malware tools, such as Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, see the last link in my signature below.

It might be of help to ask in this forum:  http://www.sevenforums.com/ maybe in the Browsers and Mail section.

• 2. Re: Empty History Folder
            markiebeau

No, there is absolutley nothing. Just a date when it was created, which is the same date after I delete it and it comes back.

Here's a copy of an answer I posted at Windows 7 Forums after someone asked me if I tried deleting the folder in Safe Mode...

"Yes, I booted to safe mode and deleted the folder. I rebooted into safe  mode and the folder was not there. However, when I rebooted to normal  mode the folder came back. I deleted the folder again and ran msconfig  and booted again thinking it may be in some start up program, but it  still came back. I am thinking maybe something in the services that are  running. I ran every scan I could find in safe mode and they all find  nothing. The weird thing is, the folder is named "history" without a  capital "H". All other folders have 1st letters capitalized."

I am at my wits end and I am ready to just restore my computer to factory.  There has to be something at start up or boot time that creates this folder. If this folder is safe, then I can mark it as hidden and never have to look at it again...

I found it! .Bing Desktop! Promptly deleted it and no more mystery folder.

Thanx for your input.

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 4/8/14 4:02:28 PM CDT

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 4/8/14 4:54:02 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: Empty History Folder
              Peter M

I avoid all things Bing so that's why I didn't know.  Glad it's OK now.

• 4. Re: Empty History Folder
                catdaddy

Thanks for this info..

Now I am glad I have always (Hidden) the Bing updates, and never installed.

Regards,