7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 10:24 AM by mblower

EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station

twubba

I've seen a similar issue reported with some Dell laptops/docking stations but I have a user with a HP 8440 laptop (Windows 7) and HP docking station where he is not able to login to the encryption software while docked. He has to log in prior to docking then put the laptop in the docking station....which may or may not work and may have to repeat several times until it works.  Anybody else having this issue?  Any suggestions???  Thanks!

• 1. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station

Can you tell us exactly what's stopping him logging in?

• 2. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station
            neogenicy

We are an HP shop, and usually advise our users to use the built-in keyboard and trackpad. Often, external keyboards and mice do not work at PBA. You could try enabling "Always enable pre-boot USB support" in the product settings - that has fixed a few for us.

Message was edited by: neogenicy on 4/3/14 10:16:48 AM CDT

Message was edited by: neogenicy on 4/3/14 10:17:16 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station
              twubba

When he connected the laptop to the docking station he got a login screen but nothing he typed showed on the screen and nothing happened.

I had him change the USB port that his keyboard was plugged into to another port.  Thinking I’ve seen/heard some issues with Super USB ports.

Apparently, he just swapped the ports of the mouse and keyboard.  He’s now talking about issues with the mouse in pre-boot but that’s not unusual.  I think it might have to do with that first port he had the keyboard plugged into being a super USB. 

• 4. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station
                acsmashing

For those of you reading this having similar issues:

Sometimes a BIOS update does the trick

If the monitor is using DVI, try changing it to VGA

Hope this helps someone

• 5. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station
                  nsabol

Not an HP shop, but found the following resolves for Dell laptops on docks (especially Latitude E5xxx series) - perhaps there is a similar setting in HP BIOS.

Has to do with Fastboot.

BIOS: Settings -> POST Behavior -> Fastboot -> set to "Thorough"

Message was edited by: nsabol on 7/28/14 5:15:46 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station
                    cillbat

On new dell precision m4800 just found in bios setting under video, switchable graphics, for enabling dock DP port for post which controls whether pre-os will show up or not for win7 and Ubuntu external monitors. First time I can recall ever having to do this on a laptop to get preboot login to show up when docked - before this is was always a bios version issue but not this model.

• 7. Re: EEPC 7.0.1 Unable to login when laptop is on docking station
                      mblower

We have a couple Dell Latitude E5420 machines, which we are having problems with.  On one machine, if it is in the docking station, it does not recognize the user's smartcard at the PBA screen. We just get "insert a smart card."  Try both the internal smart card reader, and an external (Dell keyboard) reader.  If we undock the machine, internal reader works fine. Also, we swapped to a new docking station, same issue occurs.  On the other machine, sometimes the PBA just reboots without giving us a chance to type in the user ID (reboot loop).  Both machines have been updated to the latest BIOS version (A14 I think), and still have the issue.

In doing a little searching, it looks like this particular model/series has been problematic with McAfee Endpoint Encryption in the past (EEPC 5.x). 

We have found that the "thorough" setting in the BIOS is the default setting, and that it is set on all our machines.

All machines are running McAfee Drive Encryption 7.1.

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, they would be welcome.

Thanks.