1 2 3 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 7:35 AM by masphl

VSE 8.8 P2 upgrade to P4 now causing alerts about running counters.dat

aladdin9

Last Friday I updated a Windows 7 Enterprise x64 system from VSE Patch 2 to Patch 4 and MA 4.6 to 4.8 P2 (stand alone, not managed by ePO).  Today when the user came in, they are receiving multiple warnings about counters.dat, which did not show up previously in the AccessProtectionLog.txt:

3/31/2014    12:44:57 PM    Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)     domain\username    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat    Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder    Action blocked : Execute

The only search results turned up another recent discussion Can I exclude .dll files? at https://community.mcafee.com/message/325562#325562 .  This thread doesn't indicate which version of VSE and patch level they are using.  Other recent VSE 8.8 P4 threads indicated problems with BOF and older versions of IE, but we are using IE 10 on a x64 system that doesn't support BOF.  I'll try having the user clear their IE cache and rebooting to see if the errors continue.

1 2 3 Previous Next