6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 11:52 PM by selvan

McAfee downloaded but will not install

anjie

Hi, I am having trouble installing McAfee onto my desktop.

I use Windows 7 and I downloaded McAfee off of At&t Uverse. I got through all the steps for checking PC threats and downloading files, but once it gets to McAfee software installation the progress bar will freeze. I've tried this several times but I never get past this step, and I can't seem to find the error. I've already tried uninstalling Windows C++ first. Here's what my installation looks like: I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how to fix this problem so I can finish my installation. Thanks!

McAfee.png

• 1. Re: McAfee downloaded but will not install
          Peter M

Is this Windows 7 SP1 ?   You can tell that by right-clicking Computer on your desktop or in the Start menu and selecting Properties.

Also, even if you never use it, is Internet Explorer version 11?    McAfee interface uses it so that's why I'm asking that.

Did you have previous security software installed, if so did you completely uninstall it and then run whatever cleanup tools may be available?

• 2. Re: McAfee downloaded but will not install
            anjie

Yes, I have Windows 7 SP1 and Internet Explorer is version 11. The weird thing is, when I go to search programs on my Start button, I can find McAfee Security Center. And on my programs list in the Control Panel, it's listed as an installed program. However, I cannot open it from the Start menu or anywhere else. This is why I'm trying to reinstall McAfee

• 3. Re: McAfee downloaded but will not install
              Peter M

Sounds like it's corrupted.

Uninstall all McAfee from Control Panel > Programs and features

Run the MCPR c;leanup tool and reboot.

Then go to your online account and reinstall from there.

• 4. Re: McAfee downloaded but will not install
                anjie

Another problem that I'm facing is that I cannot uninstall a previously downloaded McAfee Security Center from my programs list. I tried running the Consumer Products Removal Tool (MCPR) but it also gives me an incomplete installation (probably because I tried unsuccessfully uninstalling McAfee from Programs and Features). I'm guessing that this could also be a potential problem as to why McAfee isn't reinstalling when I try downloading it again. Could you help me uninstall the old McAfee?

• 5. Re: McAfee downloaded but will not install
                  Peter M

Well it sounds like it really is messed up so the only thing I would do would be a long and laborious registry cleanup which can be dangerous if not done properly.   I think you should enlist the help of Technical Support.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

I hope you haven't been using any of those "miracle" registry cleaners that promise a faster computer, and invariably destroy it in the process, they are a total waste of time and money.

• 6. Re: McAfee downloaded but will not install
                    selvan

Hi anjie,

I think you should contact Tech Support from here. They will be able to remove old McAfee manually from C drive and the registry ,later proceed with the Re-install.