First of all make sure your computer is totally up to date, especially browsers and their add-ons, including any you may not use any longer such as Internet Explorer. McAfee uses it and that can be the cause of this.
Then run the Virtual Technician to see if finds and fixes any issues. http://mvt.mcafee.com/
Once it's completed post back if any progress and give the MVT session ID number.
I did the Virtual Technician the first time, session ID: 50729415 and it seemed to take care of the problem. Now it did it again today so I ran the Virtual Tecnician again, session ID: 50809738. Any suggestions on why this keeps happening?
Just curious if you purchased your McAfee software directly from McAfee or if you have purchased it through Cox, Dell, Verizon, or another partner?
What operating system are you using? Win 7....XP....Vista
Then I suggest contacting Technical Support direct. It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.
I meant to include the Technical Support suggestion in my previous post but I was called away to answer an important call.
Sorry about that Tom. I started to respond then went away to eat dinner and of course, you had responded in the meanwhile and I didn't notice.
I got it directly from McAfee, and I'm using Vista.
Thanks, I would contact Technical Support as I suggested, tehy can troubleshoot it directly.
Try the below steps and see if the update completes successfully,
1. Open McAfee User Interface > Navigation > General Settings and Alerts > Access Protection > Uncheck check box > Apply
2. Close the UI and Re-open
3. Click on Update tile > Check for Updates > Wait for it to Download and Install
4. Re-enable Access Protection by following step 1 even if you are not able to update successfully.