9 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2014 3:58 AM by Peter M

McAffee Error

artshopgirl

Last week, as I was surfing the internet, a box came up telling me that my computer is at risk.  I looked at the shield icon and it had an exclamation point on it.  I shut the computer down and turned it back on.  I thought that maybe McAfee didn't kick in after starting it.  The computer started up again and the exclamation point was still on the shield icon.  I clicked on it and the McAfee security page came up.  It normally looks like horizontal grey/white stripes with type that you can click on.  Instead it had large red and white boxes,with a banner that stated that your computer is at risk and to run a full scan.  When you clicked to run a scan, it would say "error."  You couldn't get anything to work.  So I shut it down and unplugged the computer. I plugged the computer back in this week and turned on the internet.  The McAfee shield was downloading updates, so I let it run.  When it was finished, the McAfee page looked normal, with the grey/white stripes returning and I could run a full scan.  It didn't find any viruses.  Is it safe to use the computer now.  What would cause a different McAffe page to come up that wouldn't let me run a scan?

• 1. Re: McAffee Error
          Peter M

I would say you are OK.  But if you want to make sure there are some extra tools to try in the last link in my signature below.

It was probably an update that somehow got stuck.

Make sure your computer is totally updated from Microsopft Updates and that even Internet Explorer is updated whether or not you use it.  The interface uses IE so that's important.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAffee Error
            artshopgirl

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: McAffee Error
              Peter M

Good luck 

• 4. Re: McAffee Error
                mutley65

Hi artshopgirl,

I have only just registered with the community so apologies in advance if my query seems irrellavent, (?) but  on reading your blog above it appears I may be in for some problems. On my desktop pc I am still running windows XP, (I think it is great,) I have vista on my laptop and do not like vista!

Last week , 13th Apri 2014, I too started getting the onscreen "Your Computer is at risk" message from McAfee, advising updates were available to download on my desktop, after following the onscreen instruction several time, very frustrating, I sought help from McAfee.  Cutting a long story short, on 15th April 2013 at 0937 McAfee started to assist, and failed to resolve ny problem, I kept being taken to a higher tier of support, McAfee by now had taken over my desktop via remote assistance, the hours dragged on, different McAfee "experts" doing their best, and at 18.03 hours later that same day I got my pc back!   This was after they had un-installed and re-installed McAfee I don't know how many times, I could not follow the onscreen action, it just moved too fast for me.

However, I am now left with a situation of every time I turn my pc on, I get an onscreen message saying "McAfee service host has had to close, please tell microsoft about this problem".     What on earth is going on? Any suggestions please.

Mutley 65

• 5. Re: McAffee Error
                  Peter M

mutley65 wrote:

Hi artshopgirl,

I have only just registered with the community so apologies in advance if my query seems irrellavent, (?) but  on reading your blog above it appears I may be in for some problems. On my desktop pc I am still running windows XP, (I think it is great,) I have vista on my laptop and do not like vista!

Last week , 13th Apri 2014, I too started getting the onscreen "Your Computer is at risk" message from McAfee, advising updates were available to download on my desktop, after following the onscreen instruction several time, very frustrating, I sought help from McAfee.  Cutting a long story short, on 15th April 2013 at 0937 McAfee started to assist, and failed to resolve ny problem, I kept being taken to a higher tier of support, McAfee by now had taken over my desktop via remote assistance, the hours dragged on, different McAfee "experts" doing their best, and at 18.03 hours later that same day I got my pc back!   This was after they had un-installed and re-installed McAfee I don't know how many times, I could not follow the onscreen action, it just moved too fast for me.

However, I am now left with a situation of every time I turn my pc on, I get an onscreen message saying "McAfee service host has had to close, please tell microsoft about this problem".     What on earth is going on? Any suggestions please.

Mutley 65

I recommend you re-contact Technical Support and if possible quote the case ID# of that previous session and tell them you are still haveing issues.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/04/14 6:39:13 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: McAffee Error
                    mutley65

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. 

After all the problems I had last week with McAfee "Assistance" taking over my pc fpr hours I was reluctant to follow up your advice initially, but circumstances forced my hand again yesterday when I got the same onscreen message again of "Your Computer is at Risk" from McAfee. Bottom line was that I had to contact  McAfee Technical Support and yes, they again had to take over my pc via remote assistance, from 16.57 hrs to 19.56hrs before I got my pc back with the "issue resolved". 

I guess its  because my pc is old and tired (like me) still running Windows XP, so I am now looking at getting another pc with Windows 8.1.     The trouble is, the more I shop around the more confused I become with so many options available, I do not play games or download films and music, I do use it a lot, basically as a  source of information looking up various topics that catch my eye, and also emails, quite a lot, and occasionally Google Earth, now I do find that fascinating.

If you have any suggestions as to what I should get , eg type size of CPU, how much RAM (6? or 8?) Hard drive etc I would welcome any advice.

Mutley 65

• 7. Re: McAffee Error
                      Peter M

I'm not much of an authority on new PC's but I would go for at least Win 7 but preferably Win 8 or 8.1 and there are tools out there that make the latter more user friendly.

Plump for 64-bit if I were you, more secure and one that has at least a 3.0ghz speed CPU and at least 6gb of memory.  and, thinking of possible additions down the road, make sure it has a good power supply, 850w at least.

Sorry would type more but just got in from an eye exam and am half blind.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/05/14 4:56:17 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: McAffee Error
                        mutley65

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Hope your eye situation is improved.  I am still looking around for a replacement desktop pc and have taken onboard your advice as my basics to start with.

Mutley 65.

• 9. Re: McAffee Error
                          Peter M

mutley65 wrote:

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Hope your eye situation is improved.  I am still looking around for a replacement desktop pc and have taken onboard your advice as my basics to start with.

Mutley 65.

That's good.  Yes the effects of the eye exam are long gone, unfortunately the reasons I had the exam in the first place have not, but that's another story.

Good luck ;-)