8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2014 12:53 AM by uwe-dembski

"Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing

sweatingbull

The problem im having is that windows 8 apps crash as soon as i click them.  I click hulu, netflix or even the windows 8 store and it doesnt boot up.  Also the pc settings dont show up.   What happens as soon as i click the settings it goes to the start menu on windows 8.  This is a problem with compatibility between windows 8 and Mcafee.  Well I already knew this because I had to System restore my computer already once.  Didnt think i would run into this issue again, yet im back where i started.    I know its Mcafee, because i tried a trial version of another antivirus and it worked fine.   What do i need to do to get it to work. I was thinking i could go into the settings of Mcafee to add programs to the trusted, yet there isnt any settings that are available to tinker with.  It seems I am left with only your feedback on what to do with this issue.  Any help would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
          uwe-dembski

The same problems here in germany. The apps (not all apps but for exmaple the bing weather app) is crashing. It starts and after a few seconds it is hided.

Some people have this problem, others not... Deinstalling McAfee and using Windows Defender there a no problems with the apps. It is very strange. Strange

bcause not all McAfee users have this problem...

• 2. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
            Peter M

Provided the software is current there are no compatibility issues with Windows 8 or 8.1, 32-bit or 64-bit.    I assume you uninstalled the old antivirus, but did you run their removal tool, available on their website?

If you didn't try running it now..   Also make sure Windows is totally up to date and, once things are working, your apps are up to date.

Then try completely cleaning out McAfee and starting over again.

Uninstall in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Go to your online account page and reinstall the software.

on 26/03/14 9:00:09 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
              selvan

Hi sweatingbull,

Kindly post back the Screenshot of EventViewer Application log to confirm whether McAfee is causing this issue. To do this Open Run dialogue by Pressing Win+R > type in eventvwr and hit Enter

On the Event viewer window Expand Administrative events and see the Error log on the Right pane preferably at the time of Crash.

This will show the file/service/process causing the crash..!

Post back if you have any clarifications..!

• 4. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
                uwe-dembski

It is always wwahost.exe...

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: wwahost.exe, Version: 6.3.9600.16431, Zeitstempel: 0x525e5d4e

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.3.9600.16496, Zeitstempel: 0x52b3f283

Ausnahmecode: 0x00000004

Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000005a88

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x18c0

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01cf40e18e5c1d6d

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\system32\wwahost.exe

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Berichtskennung: d985969c-acd4-11e3-8323-74e543d36054

Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.BingTravel_3.0.2.233_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: AppexTravel

deinstalling McAfee, the apps ware working.

• 5. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
                  selvan

Hi uwe-dembski

Please try uninstall and re-install of Bing Apps and check if that helps.. BTW Are you using Win 8.1 . There are known issues with BingApps crashing in 8.1 See here and try this ( for Win 8 ) to see if it works.

• 6. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
                    uwe-dembski

I have tried so many things, but nothing helped. I allready contacted Microsoft. But they only told me to refresh my PC and charged me with 80 Euros.

The best side to see and try to fix the problem is:

http://www.cobble-it.de/betriebssystem/windows-8/apps/windows-8-metro-apps-start en-nicht

I tried all solutions, no result. The only thing for me is to uninstall McAfee. Then the apps are working.

Yes, I am using Windows 8.1 pro (64bit).

Last week I deinstalled all Bingapps. Safety (=McAfee) is for me more important than look for a weather forecast...

• 7. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
                      selvan

Hi uwe-dembski,

Kindly provide the below details so that I can test this on a Win 8.1 PC and post back the findings..!

McAfee Product :

Version of Security Center:

Version of Virus Scan:

I presume that we need to open the Application by clicking on App tile of Metro UI for reproducing this..!

• 8. Re: "Windows 8" apps/store/PC Settings are crashing
                        uwe-dembski

Hi Chinthanai Selvan,

McAfee Total Protection.

Security Center 12.8, build 12.8.934

Virus Scan 16.8, build 16.8.708.

Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit, clean installation (no upgrade from 8.0). Windows was installed at 10.01.2014 by the manufacturer. All patchday-updates are installed.

Only windows was installed, no other programms.