1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 2:10 PM by greatscott

On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4

brentil

We've noticed that on nearly all systems that have been upgraded to VSE 8.8 Patch 4 that their On-Demand Scan jobs are taking longer to run than before.  I've looked at a good sample of machines ranging from user systems, test environments, development servers (DB, file, web), and production servers (DB, file, web).

• Windows 7
      • Windows 8.0
      • Windows 8.1
      • Windows 2003 (32bit)
      • Windows 2008 R2
      • Windows 2012

The length of increase seems to range from 1.5x to 2.5x longer than before.  Basic machines without a lot of files were taking 15~20 minutes before P4 and now they take 30~40 minutes.  One of our main development web servers was taking 2.5 hours and now it takes 4 hours.  One of the main production web servers with lots of files on it went from 2 hours to 5 hours for the On-Demand Scans to finish.  We run the ODS every night and the machines only reboot monthly for patches.  All of these time increases occurred the day P4 was installed ad it was the only item installed.  The new extended times have continued since the first patch day not decreasing.

We've rebooted some of the systems after P4 installation and some have not and computers in both categories are showing the extended scan times.

I've looked through the known issues information and nothing sounds like it would cause this.

I verified in ePO that the General Options Policies -> Global Scan Settings -> Enable saving scan data across reboots & Allow On-Demand Scans to utilize the scan cache are both enabled still.

I know there's the new write scan delay technology but all of the servers being scanned are pretty much idle for use when the ODS jobs run.

Can anyone else verify they're seeing this as well to please?

• 1. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
          Mark_75

We have noticed the same Issue on our Servers since we´ve updated to Patch 4.

The Scan-TIme for On Demand Scans increases nearly three times und CPU-Consumption raised.

Sorry but I´ve still no solution for this Problem too. We downgraded to Patch 3 as a try  and we ´ll  compare again.

• 2. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
            brentil

The reason I discovered this was we had some webservice calls that happen after hours to do some system maintenance and they were failing at the same time every night.  I started looking into what was running at the same time and found the ODS jobs were taking way longer than before and the higher CPU usage was causing the webservice calls to time out.

• 3. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
              wwarren

This tidbit from the Patch 4 readme is relevant:

New or changed setting Registry entries DWORD default value
              On-Demand Scanner is now limited to one thread per CPU, 6 threads total by default. This limits the amount of memory used by ODS.
              To activate this feature, the System utilization slider setting (on the On-Demand Scan Properties, Performance tab) must be set to Below Normal.
              To change the maximum number of threads, set the DWORD value.
              To deactivate this feature, set the DWORD value to "0".
              32-bit systems:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks:

dwUserDefinedMaxThreads
              64-bit systems:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks:

dwUserDefinedMaxThreads
              6 (maximum number of threads)
              • 4. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
                brentil

Can you help us understand this better. 

1. What was the configuration before that was allowing the scans to complete faster?
                2. According to that to enable this feature it must be set to "Below Normal" but in ePO on the Performance tab of the ODS Task it is set to Normal.  Why then is scan time being impacted?
                3. Is there some other way in ePO to configure this I'm missing?
                • 5. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
                  wwarren

You'll want to work with Support for specifics on changes to make that may suit your environment, but I also say that because I recall an open investigation one of the team is looking into where tweaking the settings wasn't producing the desired result. So, there may be an issue here with the code; that remains to be seen.

The dwUserDefinedMaxThreads value and supporting values are not ePO configurable - this was a "quick fix" to the escalations we received where ODS was using gobs and gobs of memory. It's likely you were experiencing this too but saw no impact from the behavior.

FYI, it's advisable to set ODS to "below normal" priority, which may actually solve the issue you're seeing with the webservices. The scan times for a "normal" vs "below normal" scan are not markedly different, when using the same number of scan threads - but a "below normal" priority means Users (or other processes) always get the CPU time they want/need.

• 6. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
                    brentil

I guess I'm confused then.  The documentation you posted above says "To activate this feature, the System utilization slider setting (on the On-Demand Scan Properties, Performance tab) must be set to Below Normal."  So shouldn't it being set to Normal not enable this feature at all based on this description?

• 7. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
                      wwarren

Yes, but there are some assumptions being made there that we need to iron out.

The concern is that perhaps this new feature, while doing 'something', may not be doing what we expected it to after all.

We can update this thread with the conclusive results/analysis once we have them in hand, but if you want to learn the same sooner you'll want to ping our Support teams who can work through the details with you.

• 8. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
                        brentil

Thank you, I will start the support ticket then.

• 9. Re: On-Demand Scans take longer after VSE 8.8 Patch 4
                          mvm_101

Dumb question:

How did you measure the increase in time?

I ask because I'm in the process of testing patch 4 in a limited pilot environment prior to rollout and I'd like to look for this type of symptom before I roll the patch to a wider population.

Did you "harvest" this from the log file(s) or did you come up with a clever ePO query?

1 2 3 Previous Next