4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 8:13 AM by k.semba

Possible to use ePO API to notify user via agent?

k.semba

Hi community,

I'm looking for a way to notify the end user on his laptop using the ePO agent or some other means. The idea would be to send the user a message that automatically pops up on his screen informing him about a certain event, status, action he/she needs to take. I was searching the API using core.help but didn't find an existing method that offers that functionality.

I was also searching the available client tasks on the ePO server (so that I could then use the API to trigger such a client task automatically) but found none that would send a message to an agent/client.

Any other idea on how to implement this?

Thanks a lot,

Kurt

• 1. Re: Possible to use ePO API to notify user via agent?
          mingle1

Kurt:

The API does not have a function for this kind of behavior. It would be a great idea to submit as a PER (Product Enhancement Request) though.

How you would implement this functionality is completely based on the language you are using with the API and what products you have in your environment.

If you care to share that information we can try and point you in the right direction. We won't be able to post a solution here unless it involves using the API.

Be glad to help however I can.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Possible to use ePO API to notify user via agent?
            k.semba

Hi mingle1,

thanks for the quick response. Sure, i could create a PER if you could point me to a document/help sections that explains how to do that.

My environment basically looks like this: I have a network management and NAC server (non-McAfee product) which controls all devices connected to the network (wired + wireless). As soon as any device connects to the network I'm querying the ePO server to get the current DAT version of that device using the core.executeQuery call. I compare that version to the current DAT version from the Master repository and if the client is out-of-date I trigger an update task and I could also quarantine the end-system. If I do that, it will impact the end user so I would like to inform him pro-actively.

All is written in Java.

Thanks again,

Kurt

• 3. Re: Possible to use ePO API to notify user via agent?
              mingle1

Sounds interesting. The only idea I cann think of would be to create a server task that would email the user. I do not believe it can be automated like that though. You could however use the Java libraries to create and send an email on the fly. Utilizing the McAfee API to get the username to send to.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help. If I think of anything though I will post it.

EDIT: forgot to link to the information about the PER. https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60021

Message was edited by: mingle1 on 3/21/14 8:09:30 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Possible to use ePO API to notify user via agent?
                k.semba

If we can't get a notification pop-up through the agent then sending an email to that user might be a workaround - better than nothing Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the link as wel.

I will keep this thread "unanswered" for a while to see if somebody else might have an additional idea.