1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 12:49 PM by exbrit

McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES

mmalagni

All,

in the last 2 days I'm having so many issues with the updates of McAfee Webgateway 7.3.2.6

It's a really incredible slowness. It can take up to 5 hours to perform an update.

Although the appliance is directly connected to Internet and the surfing through it is really performing.

If I try to download from contentsecurity.mcafee.com/updates throught the Proxy the download speed is about 1,3 MB.

Instead the download of the updates is an average of 20 KiBs from the proxy Webgateway.

Any advice?

Another thing, is there a way to suspend and update in SSH?

Regards

Matteo

• 1. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
          exbrit

Moved to Web Gateway for better support.

• 2. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
            asabban

Hello,

can you please provide one or two update IDs from your slow updates? You should be able to find them in the update.log that is written by MWG.

Best,

Andre

• 3. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
              mmalagni

Hello Andre,

update-id: 8F8BD2FEFC

update-id: 9DA5CD1F3F

update-id: 364B7AA121

Regards

Matteo

• 4. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
                asabban

Hello,

thank you. I was able to validate that you update against our european update servers, which is good. Unfortunately there is no hint why the download is that slow. What you can do is manually download a test file from our update servers and from the CDN. If you are able to SSH into one of the systems please change the directory to /tmp and run:

wget https://tau1-4.mcafee.com/updates/datfile.test

wget https://mwg-update.mcafee.com/updates/datfile.test

Can you let me know the results of this? It should give you a response like

2014-03-19 13:04:33 (5.37 MB/s) - `datfile.test' saved [99983374/99983374]

Best,

Andre

• 5. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
                  mmalagni

Andre,

the result is

2014-03-19 13:11:16 (2.21 MB/s)

That what we expect from our connection.

Instead in the Gui that's the result:

Proxy-3: download update files (10%), speed: 22 KiB/s

Proxy-4: idle

Proxy-2: idle

Proxy-1: download update files (7%), speed: 32 KiB/s

And no error are present in the update_error.log or strange message in the update.log

Regards

M.

• 6. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
                    asabban

Hello,

have you tried the "speedtest" against both servers (tau1-3.mcafee.com and mwg-update.mcafee.com)? The biggest files are transferred from mwg-update.mcafee.com which is a pointer to a Content Delivery Network. It is possible that you are directed to a cache that is slow, busy or has any problem, so the speed test against mwg-update.mcafee.com would be beneficial.

Can you provide the full output of

please?

Best,

Andre

• 7. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
                      mmalagni

That's the issue Andre...

--2014-03-19 13:17:17--  https://mwg-update.mcafee.com/updates/datfile.test
                      Resolving mwg-update.mcafee.com (mwg-update.mcafee.com)... 23.50.184.79
                      Connecting to mwg-update.mcafee.com (mwg-update.mcafee.com)|23.50.184.79|:443...                                        connected.
                      HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                      Length: 99983374 (95M) [text/plain]
                      Saving to: `datfile.test.1'

0% [                                                                             ] 389,334     21.1K/s  eta 70m 44s

Regards

Matteo

• 8. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
                        asabban

Hi Matteo,

immediately after your post I tried to obtain the test file from the same cache (IP) that is used for you and I was able to see the same performance problem:

2014-03-19 13:56:35 (45,6 KB/s) - datfile.test gespeichert [99983374/99983374]

Now 1 1/2 hours later I tried again and speed is a little better for me:

2014-03-19 14:56:49 (4,52 MB/s) - datfile.test gespeichert [99983374/99983374]

Do you mind giving it another try?

The CDN we are using is provided by Akamai, so nothing we maintain on our own. It is likely that a cache may have trouble and also likely that Akamai solves those issues before we raise a case with them. Before I am going to raise a case, may I ask you to try again and let me know the output again (as you did above - full output with remote IP etc)?

Thank you,

Andre

• 9. Re: McAfee Web Gateway - SLOW UPDATES
                          mmalagni

Hi Andre,

--2014-03-19 15:19:25--  https://mwg-update.mcafee.com/updates/datfile.test
                          Resolving mwg-update.mcafee.com (mwg-update.mcafee.com)... 23.53.232.79
                          Connecting to mwg-update.mcafee.com (mwg-update.mcafee.com)|23.53.232.79|:443... connected.
                          Saving to: `datfile.test.6'

0% [                                                                                                                                                                        ] 139,982     21.0K/s  eta 76m 11s

Andre, I tried also to change IP address in the host file for the AKAMAI server to another server. Just to check if they were blocking my connection.

--2014-03-19 15:22:23--  https://mwg-update.mcafee.com/updates/datfile.test
                          Resolving mwg-update.mcafee.com (mwg-update.mcafee.com)... 23.50.184.79
                          Connecting to mwg-update.mcafee.com (mwg-update.mcafee.com)|23.50.184.79|:443... connected.
                          Saving to: `datfile.test.7'

0% [                                                                                                                                                                        ] 412,902     27.8K/s  eta 51m 32s

Then I tried to download from another public IP and the result is exactly the same.

Can we have access by any chance to the tau server? :-) or point to download updates to a specific address? Which one you are using in your better speed test?

Regards

M.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          1 2 Previous Next