6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 4:33 PM by catdaddy

how to remove pop-up adverts

laurenceasspelt

Hi. I have Windows 7, Google chrome and McAfee.

Recently my PC has become infected with pop-ups which appear every time I browse with Google chrome.

One says that it will scan my PC and identify Windows errors; another asks if my PC is too slow; and do so on.

I have tried system restore, taking my PC back a few days, but it did not work. The source, I suspect, is a peer to peer site, or an update to Xvid.

I have tried Stinger, too, but it found nothing.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Laurence

• 1. Re: how to remove pop-up adverts
          Peter M

Hi,

I moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance just in case.

You might want to try scanning with some 3rd party tools.  It's probably just a toolbar that's been accidentally downloaded with somwthing else, but you never can be sure.

Try Malwarebytes Free, and perhaps Adwcleaner - see the last link in my signature below.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to remove pop-up adverts
            laurenceasspelt

Hi Ex-Brit.

Thanks for the advice.

I think now that the adware was installed With the Bing toolbar.

I used Adaware and it seemed to work, because when I clicked on Google chrome there were no ads and the Bing toolbar was not to be seen.

Unfortunately it came back, along with the ads, when I opened chrome a second time.

I wonder if anyone knows how to remove the Bing toolbar.

It's not in the control panel list of programmes, nor is it in 'all programs'.

Thanks again for your help,

Laurtence

• 3. Re: how to remove pop-up adverts
              Peter M

Well a Google Search finds lots of solutions but you may have the Conduit Toolbar as that is a difficult one to get rid of, but even that is not classified as malware, maybe it should be.

In the last link in my signature below I don't recommend Adaware as it contains an antivirus and can clash with McAfee, I do recommend AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes Free - try those.  Or.....

How to Uninstall Conduit Toolbar

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/03/14 9:06:59 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: how to remove pop-up adverts
                catdaddy

In regards to the "Bing Toolbar" you usually get it through (Windows Updates) as an optional update. However if "Bing" is your (Default) search engine, it may be cumbersome to remove. You can try going to your "Add-ons","Extensions", "Plug-ins" and disable if I am not mistaken?

Not knowing your particular Default Browser, I can offer you no more advice.

BTW..that is a "Excellent" Removal Guide Ex_Brit suggested to use , in my honest opinion.

Oooops...I see that you did mention "Chrome", therefore try disabling the "Bing Toolbar", if listed.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/19/14 8:32:49 AM CDT
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: how to remove pop-up adverts
                  laurenceasspelt

Hi catdaddy,

Thanks for your reply. And thanks to Ex-Brit. It turned out that i had the conduit toolbar surreptitiously installed; hence the pop-up adverts.

I followed the conduit toolbar removal instructions given by ex-Brit; and I was then able to remove the toolbar fairly easily -- it's time-consuming but not difficult.

I had previously tried  AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes Free, by the way, but these had not removed it. The latter did detect, or claimed to detect, a couple of dozen PUPs. I had no idea what they were but I clicked on the remove button anyway.

I am glad to say that my PC is free of pop-up ads and of PUPs, there now being less mess to clean up.

Thanks again to all those who took the trouble to reply.

Laurence

• 6. Re: how to remove pop-up adverts
                    catdaddy

Hi laurenceasspelt

It is good to know that all seems to be well now. You are way too kind. Actually, by your above mentioned comments:

And thanks to Ex-Brit. It turned out that i had the conduit toolbar surreptitiously installed; hence the pop-up adverts. I followed the conduit toolbar removal instructions given by ex-Brit; and I was then able to remove the toolbar fairly easily -- it's time-consuming but not difficult I had previously tried  AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes Free, by the way, but these had not removed it. The latter did detect, or claimed to detect, a couple of dozen PUPs. I had no idea what they were but I clicked on the remove button anyway. I am glad to say that my PC is free of pop-up ads and of PUPs, there now being less mess to clean up. Thanks again to all those who took the trouble to reply.

Laurence

Even though I added some input, in my humble opinion Ex_Brit clearly solved your issue. Again, glad all is "Good in the Neighborhood" !!

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/25/14 4:33:07 PM CDT