1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 12:43 PM by Haaris Faizan RSS

Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter

Haaris Faizan

I am using webgateway 7.4.0 & webreporter 5.2.1.I have attached screenshot from webgateway which shows diff groups like Sms Gateway,IBM TEAM,Symantec_update etc. allowing diff URLs to these groups.

My question is that is there is any way through which we can get the logs in webreporter of these groups i.e. showing the details of no. of hits,bytes used by these groups.

In short ,can we find out no of hits according to the diff groups created in webgateway

• 1. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
          Haaris Faizan

Does anybody have an idea about the discussion posted above ,PLZ reply.........

• 2. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
            sroering

In each ruleset set a property that contains the ruleset name. Then write that value to the access logs under a custom header.  General instructions are in our best practices guide.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4929

Be careful when editing the rules because if you make a mistake in the formatting, it may not be parsable by Web Reporter.  If you are not sure, you might be better off copying the exisitng access log settings for testing.

• 3. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
              Haaris Faizan

I have configured the settings in webgateway & wepreporter as mentioned in the DOC-4929 but the problem is that I am not able to see the extra column that I have added though i m able to see that in access.log in webgateway but in webreporter it is showing the normal logs that is without this extra column that i have added.....

Second thing when i try to add extra column other than mentioned in the document like in my case i am trying to configure ruleset name as extra column,problem i m seeing in this case is that i am able to see the ruleset column in access.log but when i push the logs in webreporter ,i am able to see that in jobs but not any other place in webreporter

Hoping someone to reply as i am facing problem with 2 diff cases........

• 4. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
                eelsasser

None of the User-Defined fields you add will be shown automatically anywhere.

You will have to write your own queries against the User-Defined fields in the Detail logs to get any of that data to display.

• 5. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
                  Haaris Faizan

But how to do that...Do we need to do something more than mentioned in the DOC-4929???????

• 6. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
                    msiemens

DOC-4929 describes what you need to do to get the additional fields into your WR database. These fields go into user-defined fields. When you create a WR query, include the user-defined fields in your query. Optionally, assign a display header for the fields that describe the information.

In MWG, I added "version" to the log header and always write "v7". In WR, I configured the log source to populate UD-1. I added "v7" to designate MWGv7 log records, although I could simply select the appropriate log source in the log source field. I also added RuleSetName and RuleName to record the rule set and rule name to assist in troubleshooting.

Here's a couple of snips from one of my queries.

In this query, I've selected UD-1. I give it a dsplay name ("Version") and I'm going to include only records with UD-1 == "v7".

QueryUD1.PNG

Here, I'm including UD-2 in my query. I give it the display name of "Rule Set" and I want all of them.

QueryUD2.PNG

I hope this clears things up.

Mike

Message was edited by: msiemens on 3/27/14 5:39:46 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
                      Haaris Faizan

I have configured as mentioned above but still I m not able to view the that extra column.I had attached all screenshot so that u guys can have an idea of what is going wrong......Plz help m as i m struggling to get it done!!!!!!

Extra column That i want to be display

!Log_Handler.jpg

Name of extra column in header

Log_Header.jpg

Able to get that field in access.log in webgateway

Access.log.jpg

Query created as mentioned

Query.jpg

When i push the log in webreporter it is showing successful in jobs in webreporter but when i see in Quick view i m unable to find those logs,Also when i run advanced report that extra column is not showing any information(it is blank)

• 8. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
                        Haaris Faizan

I am able to get values for extra column for other options but when i do that for Rules.currrentRule.name I  m unable to get that.Screeshot of report atttached for your reference.

Report.jpg

Plz help m to get this sort outh....

• 9. Re: Customizing Webgateway logs in webreporter
                          msiemens

Two suggestions:

1. In MWG, make very sure that the log record that you're writing matches the log header.
                          2. In WR, make sure that the log source is configured to read "Rulecheck" into "User-Defined 1". "Rulecheck" must be the same in the log file header and in the log source column definition.

In this log source definition, I'm reading the field "RuleName" into UD-3. "RuleName" appears in the log file header and matches the log source definition as seen here:

WR.UD3.PNG

1 2 Previous Next