1 2 3 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 4:58 AM by exbrit

False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84

adamhenry123

I am trying to install EA Sports, Tiger Woods Golf (2007).  Early in the installation procedure, a McAfee window pops up, saying an infected file has been located on my PC.  It is referring to the installation .exe file found on the Tiger Woods program disk, that is sitting in my DVD-ROM drive (E Drive on my PC).  I am instructed to restart my PC, so McAfee can "fix it."  Restarting my PC has absolutely no effect on anything - the problem remains after restarting.

Of course, I am unable to continue with the installation process, i.e., until I get this problem resolved, I'm not going to be playing any golf, at least no on my PC with old Tiger.

I ran an independent McAfee scan on the Tiger Woods disk in E Drive.  Nothing malicious was found.  I ran a second scan with Mawarebytes.  Nothing malicious was found.  My McAfee Quarantine section is empty.  Nothing has been quarantined.

I am almost 100% certain this is a false report from McAfee.  I have submitted the Artemis code number to the McAfee detection center (or whatever the frotz they call it).

All I want to do is play some golf here.  What should I do?

• 1. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
          vinoo

Do you have any acknowledgement id back from McAfee for your submission? I could use that to trace this file.

• 2. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
            adamhenry123

Nothing yet.  I will post on this thread as soon as I do.

Any idea as to about how long McAfee takes to respond on something like this?

• 3. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
              vinoo

Given that am following this thread - will fix it as soon as i get a copy of the file.

• 4. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
                adamhenry123

Great!  Thanks! 

Once again - any idea how long it takes McAfee to respond to something like this?

• 5. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
                  vinoo

If you provide the hash now to this thread - should be fixed the same day.

Unless its a patched or cracked version of the game.

• 6. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
                    adamhenry123

Vinoo -

I sent this thing in to McAfeee on Monday, March 17th.  I have not heard anything yet, and this will be the 4th day since I sent it in.  I did not have the email returned, so I know they got it.  What's wrong?  Should I re-send it?

I don't understand what you mean when you say if I "provide the hash" to this thread.  What does that mean?  Did I fail to put enough information into my OP on this thread?

• 7. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
                      adamhenry123

Here's something interesting, by the way.  I had been running Tiger Woods Golf 2007 on my old computer for years.  Then, in January, my old computer broke down and I got a new one. 

Anyway, I was not able to install my old Tiger Woods Golf 2007 onto the new computer, because I had lost the box it came in and along with it, the installation code.  So I bought another version of Tiger Woods Golf 2007 from Amazon, and it was when I was trying to install this version of Tiger Woods Golf 2007 (the Amazon-purchased version) onto the new computer, that the virus message appeared.

When I was unable to install the Amazon Tiger Woods Golf 2007 onto the new computer, I thought I would try to install my OLD version and see if the installation code for the Amazon version would work.  I didn't think it would, of course, but I thought I would give it a try nonetheless.  When I was attempting to install the OLD version of Tiger Woods Golf 2007, up pops the same virus message from McAfee that I am getting when I try to install the Amazon version!

This is most strange, because while I was using the old version of Tiger Woods Golf 2007 on my old computer, I was also running McAfee, and nothing EVER came up about any virus existing in myk OLD version of Tiger Woods Golf 2007.

What do you make of that?

Message was edited by: adamhenry123 on 3/20/14 12:10:29 PM CDT

Message was edited by: adamhenry123 on 3/20/14 12:10:57 PM CDT
                      • 8. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
                        adamhenry123

I'm re-sending the false virus message to McAfee.

• 9. Re: False Artemis! AC3EE0035EC84
                          exbrit

"Sent this thing in" what did you send in?     Artemis means they've already got it.   If you mean emailed them, then read on.

You should have received an auto-response to your email immediately, did you address it properly and get the Artemis detection ID correct?

Here's an extract from what we Mods tell people:

If something is identified, maybe wrongly as "Artemis" then McAfee already knows about it.  Merely send an email to virus_research@mcafee.com with the Artemis detection name and the words "False Artemis!++++++" (where ++++ is the code given to it) as the subject line. (Minus the "").

1 2 3 Previous Next